Sign in with
Your question

Buying a new Motherboard and Installing an old/used Operating System

Last response: in Motherboards
April 11, 2013 10:20:54 PM

-Im looking to buy a new Motherboard. I would like to know If I can install an old and already used Operating System

• to be specific Microsoft Windows 8 64-bit OEM version; Msi B75MA-E33 to an ASUS P8Z77-V pro
a b V Motherboard
April 11, 2013 11:04:13 PM

Which OS you want to have?

Kindly note, once you upgrade/change your motherboard, you need to re-install your OS as the driver of new mobo change on upgrade/change.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
April 12, 2013 4:47:32 AM

As long as you are not using the same key on two different machines, I believe that you are within the terms of use (but that is conditional upon the license) to migrate the OS to a new machine. Given that you are not using the key on two machines you can download a copy of the OS (if Windows) and then burn a disk image from the file. Then you can use the original key to activate the software.

If you have a full copy of the OS (non OEM) or a non OEM upgrade you should not have any problem with the migration, but you will need to install your own drivers.

April 12, 2013 7:04:02 AM

Thanks for the replies fellas.

Chester: I only have an OEM copy of windows 8, im trying to avoid spending 100$ more for a motherboard swap
Satyam: If I follow those instructions I may or may not be able to swap motherboards without a reinstall?

Could I call Microsoft and tell them that I am doing a motherboard swap because my current MoBo is broken ;)  or would I have to argue with them for a bit about using the same OS?

a b V Motherboard
April 12, 2013 8:36:25 AM

You can download a copy of Windows 8 directly from microsoft and use the old activation key.

I had a problem with a Win 7 media disk, so I downloaded a copy from MS, and burnt it to a CD -R. I installed it using the old key and it works.
April 12, 2013 6:00:36 PM

Thanks Chester! I will give that a try when i get the new mobo.

One more question. Do I have to wipe all of the current info stored in my hard drive for this to work? or just wipe the OS off of it?
a b V Motherboard
April 12, 2013 9:06:29 PM

http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/Microsoft_Operating_...
^ according to this, anything other than a mobo swap is legal. Mobo swap is considered as a completely new machine and the license will not migrate and expire.
The best thing would be to ask Microsoft for advice. Maybe ask them if it would be possible to acquire a retail upgrade for less money.
Edit> for a new install, your C: drive will be wiped off, or you can retain the installation as "old windows" but it wont be useable anyway. you will lose all your installed programs, system settings, drivers. you wont lose data in other partitions, unless you format them.
a b V Motherboard
April 12, 2013 9:54:42 PM

Irishfitz said:
Thanks Chester! I will give that a try when i get the new mobo.

One more question. Do I have to wipe all of the current info stored in my hard drive for this to work? or just wipe the OS off of it?

In your words, back-up the personal date that stored in the drive of your OS installed drive, then wipe your OS and re-install.

When you change the motherboard it needs OS re-installation because of driver changes.
!