Sign in with
Your question

Using two BT phone lines with one router

Last response: in Networking
April 12, 2013 2:26:42 AM

Can you connect two ADSL phone lines to one switch so as to increase the broadband bandwidth? Are there any router with two RJ11 sockets?

More about : phone lines router

April 12, 2013 5:02:12 AM

No, yes

There are a couple of special purpose routers that can take 2 ADSL connections but it is not a cost effective way. You are better off using 2 ADSL modems and hooking them to a dual wan router..something like a cisco rv042

Problem is it only sorta increases the bandwidth. It would be like saying I had 2 people sharing a connection so I bought a second one and now each can have their own.....It depends what you mean "increase".

It is not possible to just buy 2 lines and increase say a single video stream from netflix or increase the download speed of a single machine. What you can do is equivalent to have 2 PC and surfing some sites on one and other on the other one. Gets very tricky to get setup to actually use it effectively.

Now that is not to say it is not possible to use 2 adsl lines and bond them together and really make a faster connection. It is just not something that will be cost effective to do. There is commercial equipment that can do this but you also must install this in the telco side which they likely will only do for a very high price.
April 12, 2013 4:27:42 PM

bill001g said:
No, yes

There are a couple of special purpose routers that can take 2 ADSL connections but it is not a cost effective way. You are better off using 2 ADSL modems and hooking them to a dual wan router..something like a cisco rv042

Problem is it only sorta increases the bandwidth. It would be like saying I had 2 people sharing a connection so I bought a second one and now each can have their own.....It depends what you mean "increase".

It is not possible to just buy 2 lines and increase say a single video stream from netflix or increase the download speed of a single machine. What you can do is equivalent to have 2 PC and surfing some sites on one and other on the other one. Gets very tricky to get setup to actually use it effectively.

Now that is not to say it is not possible to use 2 adsl lines and bond them together and really make a faster connection. It is just not something that will be cost effective to do. There is commercial equipment that can do this but you also must install this in the telco side which they likely will only do for a very high price.

April 12, 2013 4:29:43 PM

Thanks, Bill. That pretty much chimes with what I've been reading. Even supposing I could get an improvement, each line carries only 6 Mb so it's not going to set the heather on fire anyway. Satellite, maybe ....
!