HDMI gaming pc problem

James96141

Honorable
Apr 12, 2013
I would like to run my gaming pc with a hdmi cable. i currently use a vga but when i chnage to the hdmi the screen wont work. no windows loading screen comes up. help please?

James96141

Honorable
Apr 12, 2013

it is supposed to be a AMD radeon 7770 hd 1gb but the ports on the back do not match the pictures online which i am looking into as we speak. motherboard is an asus m5a78l-m/usb 3

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
A few monitors have a quirk that require you to start in VGA, then use the buttons to select HDMI input. Of course there will be no VGA display after doing that. Shut down and re-connect via HDMI. Try that first. Check the markings on the side of your HDMI cable to be sure it is at least ver 1.4.

If you are unsure of the GPU in your system, run GPU-Z in Windows to determine the exact model. Or run CPU-Z and click on the graphics tab.
GPU-Z: http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/
CPU-Z: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

James96141

Honorable
Apr 12, 2013

That's all a bit complicated for my young brain unfortunately. Its just a regular hdmi cable i plugged in. Ideally i'd like o get 2 monitors and think it would be better to use hdmi cables but vga is just as good right? still need to check the graphics card though which worries me slightly.

James96141

Honorable
Apr 12, 2013

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Actually, analog VGA is not as good as a digital output. With Analog, it goes thru at least 2 stages of conversion. The graphics processor produces a digital signal, it is converted to analog for transmission over the cable to the VGA input on the monitor. Then inside the monitor, it is converted back to a digital signal so it can be displayed. Every time it is converted, it loses some fidelity. Best to hook both monitors up as digital. Less headaches sometimes too.

Some newer cards will not work with a HDMI cable that is of the older version.

James96141

Honorable
Apr 12, 2013

Okay, Thank you, I may message you back when i sort out this graphics card confusion as i do not think the company that built my pc fitted the right one. Thanks again

James96141

Honorable
Apr 12, 2013

i've now taken the side off of my pc and found my graphics card is actually the xfx r7770, could i run 2 monitors using vga with it?

James96141

Honorable
Apr 12, 2013

i know that, but if i try to use my hdmi cable it does not work, i dont want to go and buy two monitors to find i can not use them
i am currently using vga, but for the second monitor i would like to use hdmi