Automated Forum Cleanup

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilcinw

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
I have noticed a lot of necro-posts lately. This is probably related to the new tag feature and the 'Related ressources[sic]' section at the bottom of threads.

Would it be possible to automatically close threads after a certain amount of time with no replies? Would three years work? Five years? I saw a necro today that was ten years old.:O

Hi :)

Recently when I was a Moderator, I did precisely what you suggested...with older posts that were years old....

It was hmmm, how shall I put this.... not looked upon favorably....

So I doubt this will ever happen....unfortunately I suspect its more to do with Google than sense...

I am no longer a Moderator, so these are my personal views...not those of the site ...

All the best Brett :)

I tested it because its NOT meant to work after whatever Joe did... :(

Also...can we just report abuse as a "NECRO" TO HAVE ANY THREAD CLOSED , after a certain age ?

That decision is up to higher minds than mine but my personal opinion is I don't see the point in a thread remaining open for longer than ninety days since the last post. Closing them doesn't take away the visibility of the advice given but when a six year old thread gets reopened every ten months or so then dies again, it's simply wasting space.

OK will just report them as NECRO THREADS and leave it to the individual Mod to decide if to close...

Status
Not open for further replies.