Rumor: AMD 'Centurion' Will Clock at 5 GHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

hannibal

Distinguished
Is this April first joke?
If AMD can produce 5GHz CPU why make it limited? Not very likely... If they can do it, they will produce it as much as there are people willing to buy it.
If this is just cherry picked well clocking variant... well then maybe, but still very unlikely, because when the proses gets better there will be more and more chips that can achieve this speed. Very strange news indeed!

designasaurus

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012
Nothing about this rumor makes sense. Even overclocked to 5GHz, the 8350 isn't better than an overclocked i7. Who would pay 800 dollars for a 5GHz FX? Heck, for that money you could get two i7's and pick the best overclocker, or 4 8350s and pick the best overclocker.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
The clock speed, albeit impressive, is a minor point. I'd like to know what this Vishera "refresh" is. I'm expecting RCM - they haven't implemented this yet, but I imagine they are doing with Richland. Might explain the increased clock speeds.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
The clock speed, albeit impressive, is a minor point. I'd like to know what this Vishera "refresh" is. I'm expecting RCM - they haven't implemented this yet, but I imagine they are doing with Richland. Might explain the increased clock speeds.

lilcinw

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
Unless this is more than just a clock bump I don't see $800 for this chip. The $/perf doesn't line up. It would be competing with Intel hex-cores at that price point.

This might work if it was $300 and positioned against an i7.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Proper code has nothign to do with it. HT has been out for 10 years, and until the I series chips were released, I always turned it off (except on single core's) because the performance increase was not worth the heat increase.

For what should be obvious legal reason's AMD could not implement an Identical solution, so I would expect it to take at least 5 years after piledrivers release before software starts using it properly.

On topic : No thanks AMD, at that price ill wait for 28nm or smaller.

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
Wow, if its cores are so inefficient needs to run at 5GHZ to compete with Intel, AMD is going out of business soon...

5 GHZ = Heat, and a 1TW PS to keep the thing running...

I miss the days of Athlon spanking Intel :(

PapaCrazy

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
In the dire situation that AMD is in, I don't understand why they would mess around with an expensive, elite component the way Nvidia has been teasing the GTX Titan. They are not in the same boat. Even at 5ghz, Vishera will be smashed to bits by $500 Intel chips, and maybe even the i7 still, so why release this at $800? It will only become a talking point to show how further out of touch AMD has become. They should release the chip dirt cheap at $295, cause a ruckus, and use the marketing stunt (cause that's all this really is) to prove to PC users that there is still some soul, some fight, some actual engineering coming out of AMD, and they are still interesting in making value-oriented fast chips. This should be "a taste of things to come", but somehow at 5gHz (with zero architecture improvements) and $800 this has the makings of a last meal instead.

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
that would put it above a 3930k cost wise .. I'm guessing this is nothing more then rumor. If they had this kind of performance all along then they really are just playing the underdog role. Mind you there would need to be significant Improvements in the cores for this to be beneficial .. sounds like amd's attempt at trying to take away some of the more meatier processor sales from intel.. I would be highly surprised or overjoyed actually if they were able to pull something like that off though.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
This sounds distressingly like Intel's claim that their NetBurst architecture would clock to 10GHhz, and we all know how well netburst was...

Status
Not open for further replies.