Have msi 560ti looking to upgrade.

Fantomlimb

Honorable
Nov 15, 2012
Hello I have recently upgraded my whole pc. I now have an intel i5 CPU, 8 gig of 1600 memory, an 850 watt power supply, an AsRock z77 extreme motherboard, and then i kept my MSI gtx 560ti oc 2gb twin fozar. I'm looking to upgrade my graphics card but there are so many choices.

Should I get a 680 and sell my 560. Get another 560, or get a 670 and keep my 560 for a dedicated physix card. Any help would be much appreciated.

yasserBasha

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013
Go with the 670 ..... for one thing gtx 670 is obviously a better card, and you are getting a chance of SLI'ng another 670 later which will give you double advantage.

As for the gtx 680 .. also get the 670
It's price is lower than gtx 680 and has the ability to overclock to the same level of it, To essentially be 5 to 10% below an overclocked 680 !!

So by ALL means ... the gtx 670 WINS

Fantomlimb

Honorable
Nov 15, 2012
Than you for your reply. That's what I was thinking too. Do you think I should keep the 560 and use it as a dedicated physics card or just sell it. And if I do keep it, will I run into hearing problems??

yasserBasha

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013
I haven't heard about noise problems from dedicated physx card, but keep in mind -though- that you may need to pay attention to heat problems especially when 2 cards are present at the case - should you do it rather than selling the gtx560 ti and get the money for anything else ?

It's your call because physx is really cool for getting all the eye candy, however a few games can benefit from physx and fewer will get you the REAL deal advertised, so it has pros & cons.

But what i would recommend is: if you keep your old card look into some cooling addition to your case.

Best wishes, my friend
Yasser

Fantomlimb

Honorable
Nov 15, 2012
Again thanks for replies, I just noticed I said hearing instead of heating*. Right now my case is a corsair carbide 400r series. Would this be enough to cool it or should I look unit maybe a liquid cooling system?

yasserBasha

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013
it's always best to find a strong solution for any problems may come, you can never be too careful, so if i were you i would look into water cooling for sure but this is just me :)

Fantomlimb

Honorable
Nov 15, 2012
That's the way I'm leaning towards. I probably won't find anyone to buy my 560, it's a little "used", as in dusty. Plus I love that card, I can still play a lot of games on ultra. Just not some of the newest triple a's like crysis or battlefield. I'm probably going to look into getting a new monitor also. I'm using a 23" hp. It's only 1080p though.

This is my first pc build so I really don't even know where to begin with liquid cooling. It's funny I fix computers for a living, yet when it comes to gaming pc's, I'm like a kid in a candy store.

In terms of the PhysX card, you first need to ask yourself if you intend to play any GPU-accelerated PhysX games. If so, then as a rule of thumb, the dedicated card can improve your framerates by roughly 25%. It only makes sense if you are actively playing PhysX games, though.

Fantomlimb

Honorable
Nov 15, 2012
Well I plan on playing a lot of the new games that are coming out. Now I'm not sure, but wouldn't most of those be physics accelerated? Now I also play some old games too, IE total war games. Will having the 560 being dedicated physX cause problems for old games?

That's why I pointed that out, sometimes people confuse PhysX and physics. The Total War games are not PhysX games. There is a specific list of games that use GPU-accelerated PhysX:
http://physxinfo.com/
http://www.geforce.com/games-applications/technology/physx

GPU-accelerated PhysX games are the only ones that use the Nvidia card to process the physics effects. Otherwise the PhysX is processed by the CPU. Then there are other physics engines, like Havoc, that do their own physics effects using the CPU. So the only way you will benefit from the dedicated PhysX cards is if you play at least one of the games from that list. The big ones are: Borderlands 2, Mafia 2, Hawken, Metro: 2033, Metro: Last Light, the Batman: Arkham games, Planetside 2, Lost Planet 2 & 3, the new Star Trek, and Unreal Tournament 3 for the old skoolz.

Fantomlimb

Honorable
Nov 15, 2012
Hmm I would have thought more games/upcoming games would have used that technology. I take it that isn't the way to go then. So I guess I'll just go with a 670. I was looking at the MSI power edition but am open to suggestions. My CPU is an i5 3570k will I need to worry about bottle necks anywhere?