Optical (Toslink) Wiring to two devices.

Liamrox287

Honorable
Apr 12, 2013
Hey Guys,

So I just bought one of these - http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=211&products_id=19259

It has one Optical out (toslink). However, I want the sound from my sound card to travel to two devices, not at once, but without having unplug my speakers (Z906 running optical) and plug in my headsets (Astro A40's running optical)

I want it set up in a way where when you power off the headsets, the speakers will automatically kick in, or have a way where I can pick what will be receiving the sound, please help as this is really confusing me on how to link it all up,

Thankyou.

Doramius

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2013
toslink splitters and switches are actually quite common. It sounds like you want a switch, not a splitter. A splitter is basically a Y-jack of the optical signal, so both devices would have audio simultaneously. There are several types of switches. Manual switches are about $40-$60 for decent low end ones. I even think Walmart.com has them for <$50. I haven't seen too many automatic ones, but they are usually $150+ and often have other connections on the device, like HDMI, DVI, etc.

Liamrox287

Honorable
Apr 12, 2013

Can you link me to something you might think would work, and when i switch between headphones to speakers the same as unplugging the headphones and plugging in speakers yeah?