Long Term Avg Computer - $500-$600

Vryl

Honorable
Apr 12, 2013
Hello! I will follow the guidelines to explain better my intents:
Approximate Purchase Date: This week

Budget Range: 500-600 , please don't consider rebates, i can't use them

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Most of the time just common use, MS Office, Internet Surfing, Photoshop. Casual gaming (i don't care if i have to play in low quality as long as i can play)

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: MOBO - PSU - Processor - RAM - Graphic Card

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: No preference, i will go for the best deal

Parts Preferences: Preference for Intel Ivy Bridge and nVidia gfx

Overclocking: No!

SLI or Crossfire: No!

Your Monitor Resolution: 1440x900 - 1600x1200

Additional Comments: I'm looking for a system with current technology, aiming for a long-term use (5yr+) without upgrades or modifications. I'm a casual gamer, i play lots of old games, but it would be cool if i could check the newer games, even if in low quality. I'm not looking for upgrades so soon, not going to OC, etc...so a "square" configuration is fine for me.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I'm travelling to the US and it's a good opportunity to get parts wayyyyyy cheaper than in my country, but since there is a limit to import stuff without tax i don't want to spend too much, because if i get taxed the price won't be worth.

I have looked trhough recent topics, for them i was convinced that the i5 Ivy bridge processors ain't too expensive and can last long for my purposes, am i right? I've found this combo from newegg - http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1274348 - , is it a good way to start or a waste of money? is the GT 650 a good card to use with this kit? What good PSU would fit perfectly this kit?

Thanks for the help!

yasserBasha

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($149.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: ASRock B75M-DGS Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($58.97 @ Newegg)
Memory: Patriot Gamer 2 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($47.98 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850 1GB Video Card ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $526.89
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-04-12 22:51 EDT-0400)

How about this ?
I didn't include storage or optical because you specified the parts to upgrade, so i did the build accordingly.
If you can't use rebates the build is still within your budget ... no problem

That combo sucks since you're not overclocking. Here's a nice build for your needs:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($149.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Patriot Gamer 2 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($47.98 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($209.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $552.94
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-04-12 23:02 EDT-0400)

It's like 590 without MIR and no Microcenter in-store pickup.

Vryl

Honorable
Apr 12, 2013

Thank you yasserBasha

You are right, i don't need storage and optical, also don't need the case. About the cooler, i have one spare to use, but since im not going to OC shouldn't the stock one be fine for the job?

On the Video Card, do you have any suggestion on the U$100-U$120 lines? Or is the $60 investment worth the difference?

Thank you again!

yasserBasha

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013
the stock fan will be FINE
And you can subtract the case money also
AS for the VGA ... don't
it's an investment you won't regret .... for modern games it'll run great, for old ones a DELIGHT
You should think of upgrading it after 5 years at least

You are welcome Vryl

Greatatlantic

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
Dropping below the $150 make means you need to play current releases on medium, though some games are more or less demanding. Console ports tend to be relatively easy to play at maximum settings on the PC. I'm using a HD 6870, which is an older card that I paid $180 for over a year ago. Bioshock Infinite is the first game to come out that I've had to lower the settings to "medium" to keep a rock solid 60 fps at 1920x1080 resolution.

I think the a HD 7790 (retails for about $150) will give you visuals that blow modern consoles out of the water, though not top of the lines. Any cheaper, and you start getting into the territory where you still have to pay for the material, overhead, etc. so it just makes more sens to spend more. Recent review: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7790-bonaire-performance,3462.html .

Now, a bit of bad news... future proofing is hard. Really, really hard. Moore's law of CPU power doubling every 17 months may no longer be the case, but we are going to see leaps and bounds in the next 5 years regardless. Ditto with GPUs. Those are two of the least "future proof" of components. As long as you just plan on using your computer for spreadsheets, you'll probably be fine, but in two years, expect to play games on low settings unless you are wiling to do another, moderate upgrade.

Vryl

Honorable
Apr 12, 2013

Thank you realchaos! Added the parts to my watch list.

Thanks to yasserBasha and Greatatlantic on the tips too!

Since there is no microcenter in FL i can't get this deal on the CPU, but newegg is doing a sale this weekend in the i5-3570k, and this processor is bundled in some combos with discounts, here are 2 that i've seem, are they worth the investment or too overkill:
Intel Core i5-3570K + GIGABYTE GA-Z77-HD3 = 267.98 http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1270849
Intel Core i5-3570K + GIGABYTE GA-Z77-HD3 + CORSAIR XMS 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 = 300.97

Also there is a deal on XFX Core Edition FX-785A-ZNL4 Radeon HD 7850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 for 165 0 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150642

I've checked a benchmark page and the comparison was similar, is it good for gaming or very worse than the ones shown in topic?

Thanks again!

yasserBasha

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013
XFX is terrible in cooling (personal experience here), i replaced one with a gigabyte and it was a good call (that's why i recommended it), but if you came across sapphire Vapor-X with good price you should take it, other than that i still recommend gigabyte

burritobob

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012

+1 For finding the best deals possible...

XFX is terrible in cooling (personal experience here), i replaced one with a gigabyte and it was a good call (that's why i recommended it), but if you came across sapphire Vapor-X with good price you should take it, other than that i still recommend gigabyte

XFX is actually great... Gigabyte may be a bit better but with the unprecedented value of the XFX card, you really should be looking at that deal. Yasser would be incorrect on his false cooling assumption. Though if anything you could look to the 7870XT from Sapphire as a good example of a value card.

yasserBasha

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013
I can see that you're stalking me .... Mr.burrito

Just because you're not happy with my opinions in other threads doesn't mean that you falsify my personal experience just for ignorance

STOP YOUR CHILDISH BEHAVIORE ... GROW UP

yasserBasha

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013
What makes the truth is the experience that people have had and are passing on. To claim that what someone else says is not true is slander at the very least. They simply have not had that experience or knowledge. Personally, since you're calling me a liar I would have to take anything you say and trow it in garbage .

burritobob

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
One person's experience is not enough to warrant not getting a fantastically priced GPU if you look at the reviews there are the same number of complaints with the XFX as there are with ANY other brand.

Saving money is the best option for the rig... why not get more for the same price there is literally 0 wrong with that.

(Not trying to derail thread here like yasser) I apologize if you think I am "stalking" you but I am simply trying to help people out on the forums if there is something wrong with that maybe you should find a different home... (sorry op but this had t obe settled for some reason)

YasserBasha was just giving out his/her personal experience and opinion. No need to bash since he/she did say from his/her personal experience.
Also, don't think you can "stalk" someone here.
Anyways...back to the topic. The 7850 provides great performance for the money, but it is true that xfx cooling isn't as great than others.
The 1gb vram is considered inferior IMO. There's a great deal on a 2gb one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127663&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=
$5 more but you also get free FC 3 Blood Dragon (no clue what it is).

Greatatlantic

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon. Its gaming salute to cheesy '80 sci-fi movies. It also continues the franchise tradition of each game having nothing to do with the others, besides "shooter with great graphics."

yasserBasha

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013

Thank you very much ... realcahos