Overclocking - do I need a new cooler or not?

Scootaloo

Honorable
Apr 12, 2013
Hello everyone I've an AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor that runs at 3.2 GHz. According to my few my family/friends I can overclock it to 4 GHz no problem, but they told me I would probably want to get a new cooler for it (I've also read about users on this forum having their own at 4 GHz or so). If it matters I figure I should tell everyone that this computer was built with I and my old cousin (so no it is not a stock computer).

If I have to I will, but I'd rather not have to spend money on a new cooler. Could I overclock the CPU to 3.4 GHz to 3.6 GHz without a new cooler or would I still need to buy [a new] one? I don't think OC'ing to 3.4 GHz or 3.6 GHz would require a brand new cooler however I am new and could easily be wrong.

Note: I'm a newbie to OC'ing and I just want to stay on the safe side.

Computer Specifications.

Flightsimluke

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010
From personal experience I can tell you that the stock cooler on the Phenom is frankly useless. Getting 4GHZ on a Phenom II is quite a target, as sadly many can't get that far.

Before my upgrade, I had 3.80 GHZ on an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev. 2, which you can pick up in stores for about £15/$20.

If you want to push as high as possible, I recommend spending a little more. A Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO offers great value cooling, and it's possible you could hit 4GHZ on it. That's about £25/$35.

I'm currently using a Coolermaster Hyper 212+ that I got off of eBay with a broken fan, paid £6 for it and chucked an Akasa apache I had lying around on it. I'm comfortably at 4.40 GHZ on that, and with some better case fans I could go further easily.

Keep an open mind, and stick to the forums. If this didn't answer your question, I'm sure someone else may be able to help!

Best Regards
Luke

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Definitely get an after-market cooler. The large 4 heat pipe cooler that comes stock with Phenom II X4s is a better cooler than the little stock cooler Intel provides for their processors, but it's not designed for O/Cing. Having said that, I have had good luck with several 3.4 GHZ 965BEs w/stock coolers up to about 3.7GHZ in a well ventilated large case.