What is everyone's opinions on this build for an all rounder?

what is the purpose of the build?

gaming, web and msoffice?
professional applications?

cpu: if all you plan on doing is gaming with some light tasks an i5 is more than enough. if you plan on more demanding applications or multitaskingi an i7 may be the better choice.

cooler: dont even bother. unless you plan on overclocking you are just wasting your money as a stock cooler is more than good enough. in any case a big 120mm air cooler is almost equal to any water cooling loop you could put on the thing short of a peltier/tec.

mobo: i've found asus to be a good mobo manufacturer. does this mobo suit your needs? i personally own the rampage III series and i like the extra perks such as bluetooth, triple channel and a good bios.

ram: 8 would be the minimum you should have. 16 is a bit overkill. is your mobo dual or triple channel? match your num of ram sticks accordingly. if dual channel (since you said 2x8) personally i would go with 4x4 or 4x3 as at least in the past smaller sticks performed better. i would recommend mushkin or corsair brand.

ssd: i was reading a thread awhile ago in which people were testing the mtbf ratings of drives and the newer vertex as well as some other cheap drives constantly performed subpar compared with drives such as the samsung 830 or 840 pro or intel drives. i personally own two vertex 2's but apparently they are fine and only the newer drives have issues. just something to keep in mind. what do you intend on putting on the ssd? if you plan on installing a bunch of games or software it may warrant moving up to a 256gb. remember, if you fill the drive past 80% performance suffers. this would be 102.4gb with around 30 for the os = 72gb free. consider that some games can be 25-30gb each...

hdd: the big three are wd caviar blacks, samsung spinpoint f3 and seagate barracuda. i have personally had issues with large platter drives (2tb in particular). my two drives have been sent in RMA 3 times with one new drive failing within a week. i am not sure if reliability has improved but i have since taken them out of my system as a boot drive and i only use them for storage now. the smaller 1tb and i believe the 1.5tb drive were perfectly fine though according to what i heard.

gpu: the gtx670 is a nice card. be sure to check out the charts to see what your gaming performance would be. personally i would suggest evga products as they have a nice upgrade program and come with good extras.

case: youc choice here. i would suggest a full tower like the antec 900 or HAF. just make sure you have good airflow and its easy to work on.

psu: you do not need a 1050w psu. my system at max draw is only around 450w with an i7 and gtx470. check your maximum wattage draw (google for psu power calc) and add a margin to it. a 650-750 would be fine. if you want to upgrade to sli in the future then perhaps a 850. again, run the numbers first and look at the psu cables to see what they support. also i would go with a corsair psu as they are rock solid.

G0N3

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
Sorry about that, I didn't check the link, turns out it was the wrong one.

The reason for the i7 is because i plan to multi task & OC it, something I struggle very much to do on my current PC (which is out dated).

As for the SSD its only going to have OS and maybe a few little programs, mainly for multimedia editing, etc. Everything else will be stored onto the HDD,

I was looking at a SSHD what are your thoughts on it, instead of doing a split set up like I want to.... (Ignore the price for now)

http://www.centrecom.com.au/seagate-2tb-sshd-hybrid-desktop-drive?gclid=COnjxbDx5boCFYchpQodvR0Afw