Sign in with
Your question

Need Advise on Networking our Home with Seperate Guest Home Office.

Last response: in Networking
April 13, 2013 9:52:34 AM

I am an DIY.

We just purchased a new home that 300 ft long with Garage/distribution cable panel on East Side of home in Garage. Across the way to east approx 120 ft is a separate building that I am making my office(real estate). Also there may be TV wiring already install linking the two structures. I am going to may a decision based upon cost and performance. I just installed my network (cat5 E cabling) with server in my office and they are installing internet service this monday.

Some quick notes - I have teenage (3) boys that play online gaming and have computers in their bedrooms. I will also have an office in main Home along with the separate real estate office in the detached building to East. My only choices for internet is Sat or Microwave Service (can't get verizon dsl because no more ports avail in area and cable wants to charge min $18k to bring line in). I am selecting Microwave because it seems more suitable for online gaming (better latency). We all have Windows 8 operating systems, andriod phones and in my office I have a Windows SBS 2003, which I would like to be able to access from main home. I also use VOIP for my office and home.

I need feedback based upon the communities expertise/experience. I may need to use a variety of setups (Cat5 with switches, wireless, MOCA, and powerline) to make both building connected. I am thinking the microwave ant should be installed on the main home/building because that is were all the online gaming will be also I upload and download a lot of data in the evenings for my real estate business.

Is a wireless connect between the two buildings sufficient in terms of speed/distance (120-140ft)? I would prefer not having to put a wireless adapter on each computer. Would like to some how put a wireless access point (or maybe a bridge) and connect it to the switch if that will give everyone in the east buiding access to the internet through this connection? Or would you advise trying to using the existing buried TV cable and go with the MOCA? Final option would be dig a line with new cat5e or cat6 cabling which will be timing consuming and more expensive. If the other options are decent for performance, then I would probably go that way.

Then to the main home - no computer networking in the existing home but there is TV cabling into each room. This is a large home - probably 250-300 ft long. We are going to have to get satellite TV. I am thinking it may be easiest to network the main home with MOCA or maybe the powerline option vs trying to run new cat5e or cat 6 wire and try to get in down high walls in the rooms. Is the MOCA or powerline fast enough for online gaming? Can the MOCA work with satellite working on the same cable? I would go with the route but not sure it will be fast enough for online gaming?

I also plan on having a media center - and putting all our DVD/VHS onto in and be able to access it from any computer/tv.

I would like to go the easiest and most cost effective route but the performance/reliability has to be sufficient.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Brett in CA
April 13, 2013 7:35:43 PM

It does appear you have done your research. The best of course is ethernet cable. MoCA used to be the solution for houses that had coax. Unfortunately the DVR and satellite vendors got in on the game and started to use similar (or actually use MoCA) to do their multiroom stuff. Directtv is one of the ones that will not work with moca. Not sure about dish but I would bet they have issues too. I suspect these vendors using all the cable bandwidth is why you don't see much moca equipment on the market.

To go between the buildings if you wanted to go wireless I would go with outdoor bridge devices that have the antenna and radio as a single unit powered by a PoE cable running back inside.

If you have enough coax you may be able to run 2 networks one for your data and one for your tv. Moca is going to take some careful study to determine what impact your other equipment is going to have. This is especially true if they are already using moca.

April 14, 2013 10:00:51 AM

bill001g said:
It does appear you have done your research. The best of course is ethernet cable. MoCA used to be the solution for houses that had coax. Unfortunately the DVR and satellite vendors got in on the game and started to use similar (or actually use MoCA) to do their multiroom stuff. Directtv is one of the ones that will not work with moca. Not sure about dish but I would bet they have issues too. I suspect these vendors using all the cable bandwidth is why you don't see much moca equipment on the market.

To go between the buildings if you wanted to go wireless I would go with outdoor bridge devices that have the antenna and radio as a single unit powered by a PoE cable running back inside.

If you have enough coax you may be able to run 2 networks one for your data and one for your tv. Moca is going to take some careful study to determine what impact your other equipment is going to have. This is especially true if they are already using moca.

Thanks for the info - I did a little research and know things are always revolving in networking/tech. I have found similar responses but some might be dated. I ran across some info where it looks like you can run both -

Description from website
This is the New SWM/DECA system from DIRECTV part # (DECA1MR0-01). This unit will allows you to connect your receivers to your home network “internet” with just one cable! This will allow you to add DVRs and HD receives to an in-house network for Multi-room Viewing and other networks related features. You will be able to view all your recorded programs from your DVR into most receiver in the house!! This unit is required for Multi-Room Viewing pleas look at the diagram to see what receivers are compatible with the new DECA system from DIRECTV.
here is link http://www.satpro.tv/deca.aspx

Does anyone have any experience with the device? Any Issues, How is performance? Better than wireless? Will this device work with Dish too?
!