Need a HDD and SSD

Frosty98

Honorable
Apr 6, 2013
Hey I have a high end computer and all I have is a 500 gb HDD and no SSD. I need to know what you guys recommend. I will pay for the best BANG!! for buck.
Happy Hunting,
Frosty

Nuclear101

Honorable
Use a western digital caviar black 2TB and an OCZ 128 Gb Vertex 4 or Vector SSD. You can use the SSD as an OS Drive and the HDD has a data drive. This works the fastest.

The current "sweet spot" is a 128 GB SATA 3 6Gb/s solid state drive.

Typically a user will install the operating system, software applications, utilities, and some favorite games on the ssd. Data and additional games are stored on a hard disk drive.

I normally recommend Samsung ssd's due to their proven track record. Crucial, Intel, and Plextor are also worth considering.

I maintain the ssd database listed in the sticky at the very top of this forum section. Here is the link:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/data-storage/ssd-database.html

Scroll down to the brands and models you are interested in and follow the links to the technical reviews.

Best bang for the buck is probably the Samsung 840.

mad-max79

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
The 250 GB Samsung 840 is today affordable, the current Seagate and WD drives drives are also fine. The current 3.5" drives from Toshiba are former Hitachi drives which also works fine. Just decide for performance and/or power consumption. The 3 TB Seagate are very good drives.