Laptop won't boot

ajh9000

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
Laptop Acer won't boot. Error Message says: Media test failure. Check cable. HDD doesn't show in setup. ('None'). HDD works when externally connected to PC, another internal HDD works with Laptop too. Recovery didn't work. Haven't got a repair disc or Windows 7 disk. Any idea someone how to make this work again?

ajh9000

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010

Never done that. Just some more information. I managed to make a repair disc on my pc (also windows 7 home premium). When I choose the repair option it tells me that there is a problem with the bootmgr.
Is there a way to fix that like it was possible in older versions of windows?

I then looked in the cmd and found something that looks weird to me. C is a reserved system disc and D contains all the user files that are normally in C (including the windows folder)? Is this normal? I always thought D is the recovery partition. Could this be a virus changing my drive letters?

Update: When I tried the bootrec/RebuildBcd it found the windows installation on D. Typed yes to add it to the boot list and got the message: The requested system device cannot be found. So there is no boot list. Can this be created manually?