need help deciding between two cpu's

Jerome Cosgrave

Honorable
Apr 13, 2013
My Friend Has asked me to build him a medium range computer, I have a choice between a AMD athlon II X2 270 or a Intel Pentium Dual Core G860, While both are about the same price i cant decide which one would be better for gaming, (please answer without bias)

AZCompTech

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013
The Pentium G860 is 28% faster when running single-threaded tasks.
In multi-threaded applications, the Intel Pentium G860 processor has 18% better performance.
The Intel Pentium G860 performs 18% faster in memory-intensive programs.
Graphics performance of the CPU is higher.

Lisan al-Gaib

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
Neither of these CPUs are considered "medium range", more of a budget build. You should consider either the Intel i3 or Athlon X4 for gaming. But chose the Intel if your budget is constrained.

lozotheatheist

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
I would have to agree AZ. Lisan is also correct, these are going to be for low end gaming. They are not going to be able to push a big graphics card if that is what you have in mind. The Pentium is also a tab bit newer and you can generally find motherboards with a bit more reliability and features. (Just a tab bit bias). The cpu comes out in the top but it's not going to be a huge amount of difference in the overall performance, but single threaded applications are going to benefit from the Pentium.

*Here is a quick performance difference test: http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/85/AMD_Athlon_II_X2_270_vs_Intel_Pentium_Dual-Core_G860.html

Jerome Cosgrave

Honorable
Apr 13, 2013
Thanks you for your opinions, I would upgrade my friends computer to a higher cpu but He has a tight budget for the moment and the psu might not handle a better cpu, I forgot to add this this pc is just a quick one for the next 4 months until he can afford a better Cpu and psu

One more thing is that He plans on buying a better cpu soon probaly the Fx series but maybe a cheaper intel I5, the intel and amd mobos can support amd Am3+ and Intel socket something i cant remember atm

The psu is a Corsair CX400W, it used to be mine until i got a 500W builder series

lozotheatheist

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
Well, the psu is not going to be the problem for a new cpu. Generally, most things that low don't even use half of the power that a 4pin cpu power header can provide. All psu's must provide the same amount of power to that one connector. So the psu would be fine.

That depends upon total load capacity on the 12v rail. I do not know what PSU he has, however, I suspect an inexpensive one [what I term junk]. Low end PSU stats are based on peak watts, good power supplies are based on sustained watts [for whatever it is rated for].

8350rocks

Distinguished

+1