What Os is best (xp, vista, win7, win8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockJaw

Honorable
Apr 13, 2013
Ok so i have an old desktop computer. its current specs are:
Pentium 4 dual core 2.66ghz
ram 1gb ddr2 (i plan on upgrading it to 2gb)
hdd 200gb
gpu ati radeon 200 xpress (plan on upgrading to Evga GeForce 6200 Video Card 512MB DDR2)

ok, so my question is what os will be the best for it: ( it is a 32bit os) xp, vista, win7, win8. I want it to be able to play some modern games, even if it is just minecraft, skyrim, far cry 3, mw2, waw, counter strike.

Probably your best bet would be to upgrade your OS to Win 8 as the Upgrade version is still the cheapest option. Unsure about the CPU though, it may not have NX bit security to pass Win 8 requirements. Easiest way to check is sign up for a M'soft Account and try Win 8 Evaluation from
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-in/evalcenter/jj554510.aspx
You can run it for 90 days. Otherwise run the Upgrade Assistant to see if it passes.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/upgrade-to-windows-8
Depending on where you are, Win 8 upgrade can be bought for around £45 in UK
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SW-150-MS&adword=google/pla/PUP_Software/Operating_Systems/SW-150-MS/&pup_ptid=45765754835&pup_kw=&pup_c=pla&gclid=CNTtx7rYybYCFRLLtAodbRIAGQ

RockJaw

Honorable
Apr 13, 2013
I am in canada and the windows 8 upgrade kit is $120 (90 euros) and there is a problom, we set up an administrator account and forgot the password so now we can not download anything at all.

Perhaps Overclockers would post to Canada? Admin account? Download from where?

RockJaw

Honorable
Apr 13, 2013
Administrator account, if you have one and do not know the password to it, you have to use a normal account, since there is an admin account you can not download, install, delete, uninstall, you cant do anything on it. win8 was 120 on the microsoft website. My friend does have a 64bit version of win7 but is it possible for me to upgrade top that? (i have 32bit)

Presume you mean the XP installation on the desktop. If you have the Product Key, you could format the HDD and re-install Windows. If key not on the case, use Belarc Advisor to find it.
Pentium 4 supports 64 bit so Win 7 should be fine, as long as it's retail and not OEM from another machine.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Tom's Hardware doesn't support PIRACY:

stop_piracy_sign_zpsa5dfd69a.png

Piracy

When someone installs and uses commercial software without paying for the program, it is called "pirating" the software. This name comes from the traditional meaning of the word "pirate," which is a sea-faring criminal that steals and loots belongings from others. But far from the stereotypical sea pirate, a software pirate can be anyone who owns a computer. Software piracy is committed by simply downloading or copying a program that a user has not paid for.

Since computer programs are stored in a digital format, they are easy to copy and reproduce. For example, a game may be burned to a CD and transferred to the computer of an individual who has not paid for the program. Software programs can also be illegally downloaded from the Internet from unauthorized sources. Since pirating software does not require many resources, it has grown into a major problem for the computer industry.

While it may seem like an innocuous act, pirating software is the same as stealing. Software companies often invest thousands or even millions of dollars into creating the programs they sell. The income from selling these programs is what allows companies to produce the software and to continue improving the programs we use. Just because it is possible to copy a software program does not mean it is OK. Installing a commercial program from an illegal copy is the same thing as walking out of a store with the program and not paying for it.

While there are some programs that are free to use (such as shareware and freeware programs), it is important to pay for commercial software. You can avoid software piracy by only downloading software from authorized sources and making sure that you have valid software licenses for all the programs you use. Remember that paying for software programs supports the software industry, which is good for all of us!

techterms.com

PIRACY2_zpsb5ec5e83.jpg

******* More info on Software Piracy *******
http://www.ehow.com/about_6311820_software-piracy_.html

Durtymax

Honorable
Apr 14, 2013
I'd say Windows 7 is the best OS, but for your computer's specs, I'd say Windows XP is all it can handle without freezing all the time, especially with only 1GB of memory.

Nikolay Savov

Distinguished

You gonna lag in games with 2 Gb RAM with Win 7 and Win 8 - you`ll have 30-40 % RAM taken after start and week later there will be not more than 50 % making you system paging like hell ....
If you don`t have at least 4 Gb RAM go for WinXP

Lower than 4 Gb is for everything but not game :)

anxiousinfusion

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
Evga GeForce 6200 Video Card 512MB DDR2

I have this same exact card installed in a Pentium 4 2.6Ghz machine. I can assure you that this has no hope of running Minecraft let alone Skyrim or other modern games. As for which operating system is better? As Bill Gates once said, "higher is better". I suggest you give Windows 8.1 a look when it comes out this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.