Sign in with
Your question

ATI 7970 or MSI GTX 680 Twin Frozr Graphics Card?

Tags:
  • Gtx
  • Graphics Cards
  • MSI
  • ATI
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 14, 2013 5:34:53 AM

Hi,

I'm sure you've seen quite a few of these posts, so have I, I've checked them all, yet still cannot decide, I've always favored NVIDIA when dealing with such hardware, and not once owned anything from AMD/ATI.

But now I'm going a bit crazy, I wanted the GTX 680, but that's $535, though has an awesome cooling design, can't really justify the price, given how nearly the majority say the 7970 can outperform it, which is great, given that's like $480, thing is though, I can't really settle on an ATI card, don't particularly care for any reference card, as I always want something with decent cooling, but yeah, I thought about the 'Asus HD7970-DC2T'

I am currently using an MSI GTX 560-Ti Twin Frozr, which performs quite well, but I want to be able to play BF3 on max, as well as other recent games on max too.

I am using 1080 x 1920 resolution, which is the max I can have, I have a feeling to go with the 7970, but my love for Nvidia is the only thing holding onto that 680, and how pretty it is :p 

(From what I've seen, how the ATI cards are horrid looking lol)

If someone could help me out here, and If recommending the 7970, perhaps also recommend a particular one (needs decent cooling though)

More about : ati 7970 msi gtx 680 twin frozr graphics card

April 14, 2013 7:59:47 AM

get the 7970
April 14, 2013 8:05:37 AM

Thanks, I suppose, but that doesn't truly help, as there is so many versions of that card, I can't decide which to get :( 

Plus, I just found out about the GHZ version of the 7970, which is a bit more pricey
Related resources
April 14, 2013 8:08:36 AM

15outland said:
Thanks, I suppose, but that doesn't truly help, as there is so many versions of that card, I can't decide which to get :( 

Plus, I just found out about the GHZ version of the 7970, which is a bit more pricey

ghz version is just a slighlt factory overclocked version of the regular 7970, i suggest you get an MSI/Asus 7970 non ghz-version and overclock it yourself
April 14, 2013 8:17:39 AM

i suggest that you go with the middle asus one, looks like the best of 3. ( high overclocking capabilities and good cooling )
April 14, 2013 8:24:51 AM

Yeah, that was the one I had in mind, little worried about it, haven't read many good things about it, starting from It gets extremely hot, being DOA, plus isn't it now discontinued, states that on NewEgg =/
April 14, 2013 8:29:19 AM

15outland said:
Yeah, that was the one I had in mind, little worried about it, haven't read many good things about it, starting from It gets extremely hot, being DOA, plus isn't it now discontinued, states that on NewEgg =/

Well, you could also go with the MSI one. great cooling and has some overclocking potential too.
April 14, 2013 8:32:16 AM

Which MSI one, you mean the reference one?

(unfortunately that Twin Frozr hasn't been released)
April 14, 2013 8:38:31 AM

this is getting too hard damnit, everything is discontinued or not released =/
April 14, 2013 8:49:22 AM

Yeah, quite the pickle is it :p 

That was another factor I wanted the 680, besides the fact it has the Twin Frozr cooler, its relevant still and not discontinued.

I am quite surprised that MSI one isn't released yet, given it should have came when the series was born -.-

April 14, 2013 9:12:20 AM

Plus, Is it to late in the market to purchase this model, how long until the next generation come out, and how long would the 7970 stand against the future generations for?

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/b1813/MSI_HD_7970_Twin...

States the MSI 7970 was released on the 10th on April, I'm in AU, so its probably going to take awhile to hit stores here :( 

(Can't even find any US stores who have it)
April 14, 2013 9:29:21 AM

There has been rumors and speculations that the 8xxx series is coming Q3-Q4 this year.

I would think that the 7970 would last 2-3 GPU generations, since the improvement is slowly descending.
April 14, 2013 7:43:11 PM

Thanks Chromic, was surprised nobody else commented on this :( 
April 14, 2013 7:56:30 PM

I have the 7950 asus directcu and can say it runs very quiet at max loads. I've seen it reach about 50-55 Celcius at max load with the fans not even running at 40%. The card runs good and takes any game I throw at it. Though I prefer running my titan it definitely takes anything and the 3d is good.
April 14, 2013 8:53:24 PM

Yeah, thanks for that information If I can find the ASUS version of the 7970, I will get that, If the MSI Twin Frozr isn't around by then.

:D 
a c 665 U Graphics card
April 14, 2013 8:59:43 PM

Do you play any PhysX games?
April 14, 2013 9:52:41 PM

I hardly play any games, but when I do its usually, BF3 (and will be BF4). MoHWF (which actually lags anything over Medium :p ) and just along those lines, so no, not really any Phys X games
April 14, 2013 10:07:33 PM

Be aware though that as far as i've seen the 79xx series of asus cards with the directcu cooler take 3 slots in your motherboard. The 680 version is 3 slot as well. The 670's i've seen are 2 slot version which perform really well as well. So if you have limited space either via too small of a case or other hardware installed in your pci-e lanes its just something to consider. If you are going to be gaming at 1920x1080 the 7950, 7970,670,680 should all perform so close together I doubt the different in fps would be noticeable. Going higher than that is where you'd start to see differences with maybe the 7950 and 7970 with larger memory bus might perform a tad better.
April 15, 2013 12:25:26 AM

Hmm, Interesting, I was thinking of purchasing a Storm Stryker case, currently using CM 690 II, but it's quite small, but If it takes up three slots, not sure It will fit, as I have a Noctua D14, and the first slot is very close to it =/

Don't think I'm going to go with an ASUS card anyway, just sure what to go with regarding the 7970 though..

I thought about going with the 7950 and OC it, but given that the new gen is getting fairly close, I would prefer something currently newish, future proofing it a bit more..
a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2013 12:58:20 AM

im gonna stray a abit from your listed manufacturers viz. MSI/ASUS, because SAPPHIRE is one of the leading partners of AMD/ATI and their Vapor-x series is awesome -
http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1...
the cooler looks awesome and performs awesome too, and i believe its a tad cheaper than the ASUS/MSI counterparts, but one thing to note is that this specific version is based on a blue PCB, which may not be everyone's liking. And these cards come with the AMD Never Settle package with Crysis 3 and Bioshock Infinite game codes

The choice is up to you.. 7970 is a damn good GPU and better than a 680 IMO..and if you really favor nvidia cards, id suggest the MSI GTX 680 PE,
http://us.msi.com/product/vga/N680-PE-2GD5-OC.html
or the GTX 680 Lightning
http://www.msi.com/product/vga/N680GTX-Lightning.html
they are the best GTX 680s IMO

P.S:- i bought an ASUS GTX 670 DCII last month and im already regretting that i didnt get a 7970 (Non Ghz) - it may consume more power but is more powerful and as gamers we really dont give a thought about power usage when buying high end graphics card do we :) 
April 15, 2013 1:27:36 AM

15outland said:
Hi,

I'm sure you've seen quite a few of these posts, so have I, I've checked them all, yet still cannot decide, I've always favored NVIDIA when dealing with such hardware, and not once owned anything from AMD/ATI.

But now I'm going a bit crazy, I wanted the GTX 680, but that's $535, though has an awesome cooling design, can't really justify the price, given how nearly the majority say the 7970 can outperform it, which is great, given that's like $480, thing is though, I can't really settle on an ATI card, don't particularly care for any reference card, as I always want something with decent cooling, but yeah, I thought about the 'Asus HD7970-DC2T'

I am currently using an MSI GTX 560-Ti Twin Frozr, which performs quite well, but I want to be able to play BF3 on max, as well as other recent games on max too.

I am using 1080 x 1920 resolution, which is the max I can have, I have a feeling to go with the 7970, but my love for Nvidia is the only thing holding onto that 680, and how pretty it is :p 

(From what I've seen, how the ATI cards are horrid looking lol)

If someone could help me out here, and If recommending the 7970, perhaps also recommend a particular one (needs decent cooling though)

Get the 7970 Ghz :)  I have it, runs flawlessly.

Also another reason to get it, is BF4 is partnered with AMD so you will get better optmized drivers hopefully :) 
April 15, 2013 1:53:13 AM

Well, I've decided on the 7970, its the logical choice, given the price and performance from each, I thought about the Sapphire card, but it costs more than the GTX 680 here, for the GHZ edition anyway.. (~$600)

a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2013 2:33:12 AM

15outland said:
Well, I've decided on the 7970, its the logical choice, given the price and performance from each, I thought about the Sapphire card, but it costs more than the GTX 680 here, for the GHZ edition anyway.. (~$600)

Good choice, keep in mind that the 7970 and the 7970 Ghz are the same chips whilst the latter has a bios level upgrade increasing the GPU and memory clocks and also added a gpu boost similar to nvidia boost, i think its called Powertune with boost, not entirely sure tho..
I've heard that it is possible to flash a Ghz edition bios on to a normal 7970 bios..effectively making it a Ghz edition, but this is risky IMO, but the plus thing is that you can easily oc the non Ghz 7970 well past a Ghz reference clock speed.. and a normal 7970 is still the better bang for buck compared to both the GTX 680 and the 7970 GHZ edition - just my opinion

i think these will be cheaper than the Ghz editions:
1. Sapphire: http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1...
2. Asus : https://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/HD7970DC23GD5/#over...
3. MSI: http://www.msi.com/product/vga/R7970-2PMD3GD5-OC.html
4. XFX: http://products.xfxforce.com/en-us/Graphics_Cards/AMD_R...

these are all non Ghz 7970s from the most reputed partners of AMD .. there are also a number other partners which manufacture AMD cards, such as powercolor, gigabyte, HIS Just to name a few.. there's a vast choice out there for you, just don't go for a reference board/cooler as they tend to be loud and run quite hot under heavy gaming and overclocking.. cheers :) 
April 15, 2013 3:16:34 AM

thanks for the links, you missed Asus though and used Sapphire again (which is a 7950, that intentional?) :p 

Yeah, I always tend to steer from reference boards, that MSI doesn't look very efficient, cooling wise tho
a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2013 3:21:24 AM

15outland said:
thanks for the links, you missed Asus though and used Sapphire again (which is a 7950, that intentional?) :p 

Yeah, I always tend to steer from reference boards, that MSI doesn't look very efficient, cooling wise tho

my bad... corrected it XD.. and as for MSI.. all their non reference 7970s are all GHZ editions.
April 15, 2013 3:30:20 AM

Hmm, thanks.

I was liking the MSI card, but read its very loud on very load, me no likely :p 

ASUS card.. It's discontinued, It does look someone decent, some people are saying its good and keeps cool, others say its gets extremely hot, being DOA etc, (It does take 3 slots, and even though I have a Noctua D14, It should fit, hopefully.

XFX - local retailer has nothing but these, but I'm not fond on them..

Sapphire is something else I've considered..

What would you prefer if it was the Sapphire or ASUS?
a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2013 3:36:51 AM

well, i think that sapphire are currently the best partners of AMD cards, plus their bundle and services are quite good - im currently using a sapphire HD5670 in my office PC for a good 2 years now and have no complaints as yet, its just that i dont really like the blue PCB on them lolz.. i like black PCBs, just a personal preference tho, as for ASUS, they are very good, one of the best in terms of quality and looks but comes with a price premium, i.e you pay more for the same performance, i would get an asus 7970 DCUII if it was available, mainly because i had a GTX 580 DCUII and now a GTX 670 DCUII and i can vouch for the cooler's effectiveness, super quiet and runs very cool at full load, plus a back-plate for added rigidity
April 15, 2013 3:58:47 AM

Well, a local retailer has [ http://www.msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=10159 ] in stock (supposedly :p ) for $448 AUD

Out of all the cards, this looked like the best in form on performance and cooling without getting ripped off to badly ;P

But I just wish I knew when the 7970 Twin Frozr III will be released, If that was out, I would've gotten that for sure >.<
a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2013 4:09:06 AM

yea.. if it's in stock, id go for it, keep in mind you'll need 2x 8pin PCI-e connectors and a minimum 600W 80+ certified PSU, i believe the 7970 TFIII were discontinued, i think only the GHZ editions are available, if you want MSI TF, you could go for this
http://www.msi.com/product/vga/R7970-Lightning.html
would be costly tho
a c 103 U Graphics card
April 15, 2013 4:24:32 AM

Sorry to cut in now, but if you plan to SLI/Crossfire in the future, or play in 3D, an Nvidia card would make a better choice.
AMD is pretty much king of single card solutions because of price, and beats Nvidia in triple monitor and very large resolutions.

Crossfire has frame stuttering issues which is visible and annoying, I would not assume AMD will be fixing it anytime soon as the problem has been around for a long time already.

If you choose a 7970, I'd suggest avoiding Gigabyte and XFX as they have been known to voltage lock their cards (which prevents high overclocks)
Asus and Sapphire are very good, get either a basic 7970 and overclock yourself, or a factory overclocked/Ghz edition as those are better binned chips (chips that happen to overclock better than the majority)
April 15, 2013 4:58:35 AM

Thanks Huilun02, I was planning on Single card operation and no 3D gaming for me :p 

I was actually avoiding the XFX anyway, and personally didn't like the Gigabyte WF look :p 

I guess my choice is the ASUS card, but I'm just not sure If I can trust it, given some of the reviews I've read..

@noteta

7970 TFIII hasn't even been released yet, you thinking of the 7950, the 7970 was just announced this year, I heard it was released on the 10th of April, but dunno', would love one tho >.<

As of PSU, I have an 750W - ThermalTake Evo Blue. It only came with 2x 6pin connectors, does the GPU came with the 8pin connectors?

I guess it doesn't matter, PSU is a modular model, so can just buy them..
a c 103 U Graphics card
April 15, 2013 5:12:18 AM

Your PSU should have came with 6+2pin connectors. Product specs says it is included. Maybe look for it in the box?
a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2013 5:13:51 AM

nope its not a Ghz version. check if this model is available with your local retailers/e-tailers
April 15, 2013 7:22:56 AM

Alright then, but now I actually remember, it magically went missing, so that's great -.-

@Notea

Yeah, that's the one, thing is though, I haven't seen a single retailer / online store, here nor in the U.S selling one, well, actually saw only one on Amazon, being sold by MSI though, and that was $550 ish..
a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2013 8:54:09 PM

if thats the case, better go with the ASUS DCII, seems the problem with the DOA issue was fixed, mebbe a bad batch that ASUS shipped..
April 16, 2013 3:57:25 AM

Yeah, I guess that's the case, plus it does seem quite good in cooling :D 

Thanks for all the help ^_^
a b U Graphics card
April 16, 2013 4:30:44 AM

you're welcome, enjoy your new monster :) 
!