$1000 - $1200 on a PC for dad

yolo99

Honorable
Apr 14, 2013
Hello,

I am looking to spend $1000 - $1200 on a PC for my dad. He does "Dad" things. No gaming. Mostly email, storing photos, doing some Visio work. The reason I am spending so much of his money on this PC is something with business and taxes and such - that IS the amount I have to spend.

I am hoping for some help on which brand and ideas on some good builds. The main feature is reliability. He is wanting this PC to last him 5-6 years. Even though he does not game, I would think some type of video card since $1000+ is a lot to spend on a PC without one. He does not need a monitor. But needs an OS (Windows 7 or 8?).

Thanks again in advance for any help on the matter.

Are you looking to build a computer (most ideal) or looking for an off the shelf model? Are there any size factors that are out of the question (full tower too big kinda thing). I have some ideas but want to know what I'm working with/looking for. For prebuilt models in that range, you might consider an alienware model (slighly overpriced but relatively good support)

yolo99

Honorable
Apr 14, 2013
It will be prebuilt off the shelf computer. I will not be building this PC. Not concerned about size limitations but a good brand and how to best spend the money for inside parts. I definitely think a SSD drive + a big second drive is worth it.

You might look into a boutique builder such as iBuyPower or CyberPowerPC as well as Alienware - I'm trying to get a configuration that includes RAID1 for the data HDD's as well as an SSD for OS/Boot... I'm close but will have to get back to it later.

sub7forhire

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013
Ibuypower is a complete ripoff. One of my soldiers purchased a computer from there and they have horrible costumer service. PC came with a broken GFX card and they wouldnt do anything about it.

Okay, I did a configuration at CyberPowerPC that fits the budget and gives the features I think would be good for a few years anyway. It's here (for 7 days only) http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1F1XF8
Has Core i7-3770, Gigabyte B75 motherboard, 8GB 1600MHz ram, Radeon HD7770 graphics card, Corsair CX500 500W PSU, Optical drive DVD burner, Windows 7 home premium 64bit, 120GB Samsung 840 SSD for OS/Boot, two WD Black 1TB HDD's in RAID 1 (total of 1TB storage), liquid cooling all in one type inside an InWin Mana case comes to $1186. I think it's a respectable build which should even perform some light gaming if pushed into that role
My $0.02

edit: the case does not come with the fancy fan controller shown in the picture filling the top two drive slots