Radeon HD 4830 vs ?

MaximumAsh

Honorable
Apr 14, 2013
Hello All, first post (though I've browsed the forum for years). General graphics card question, hoping for some insight.

My system is a few years old and I'm working on building a new one. I generally keep the budget low, and try to get as much bang for the buck as possible. I game, but nothing insanely intense (MMOs, MOBAs, etc). I've got a Radeon HD 4830 card in the current machine, and my question is: Are there any other cards that easily beat it under $100? Or should I stick with it on the next machine if my graphics budget is limited as noted?

Thanks in advance!

MaximumAsh

Honorable
Apr 14, 2013

Okay, so if I can find a deal on the 7770, chase after it, otherwise sounds like I can stick with the 4830 for now based on your response. Never ceases to amaze me how well this card stands the test of time. Thanks

Quick Edit: Tiger Direct has the MSI version of the 7770 for $89 right now after rebate ($120 without rebate). So if anyone is in the same hunt I am, this sounds like a decent price.

MaximumAsh

Honorable
Apr 14, 2013

It varies, used to play World of Warcraft, not so much lately. Heroes of Newerth, DOTA2, Starcraft II, Walking Dead, Borderlands 2. The MOBA-style games like HoN and DOTA I can have jacked up high on settings as they're not as graphics intense. Starcraft I have set high, no major issues.

Followup question - again keeping with the budget concept I was considering building the new machine with a Intel Core i3-3220 Ivy Bridge Dual-Core CPU. Would the CPU create a bottleneck for the Radeon 7770, or vice versa? To save a few bucks I was going to avoid going Quad-Core, but I don't want to skimp in one area and over do it in another.

MaximumAsh

Honorable
Apr 14, 2013

Great, thank you for all your advice, time to dig up a few extra bucks and get cracking.