Sign in with
Your question

what is in more need of an upgrade my cpu or my gpu?

Last response: in Components
April 14, 2013 9:33:46 AM

Hello,
my current hardware configuration is:
Phenom x4 965 @4.0ghz
Hyper 212 evo to cool it
8gb ddr3 @1600mhz gskill ram
ati 4890 1gb ddr5
240gb samsung ssd
1tb samsung spin point
am3 990fx asus sabra tooth mobo
ocz 850 watt psu
and i game at 1680x1050

what i have been wondering is should i upgrade my gpu to a gtx660 or 660ti or should i save up some more money and get a cpu upgrade to a 3570k? which would provide the best results? :)  thank you for any responses.
also i would like to say that during gaming the graphics card reaches about 80 degrees and is constant full load and the cpu only gets to about 50 degrees and 40% usage

More about : upgrade cpu gpu

April 14, 2013 9:59:10 AM

Save for both. I guess which one depends on if you play more cpu intensive games are ones that require stronger GPU performance.
April 14, 2013 10:01:27 AM

William Reed said:
Save for both. I guess which one depends on if you play more cpu intensive games are ones that require stronger GPU performance.

i play far cry 3, want to play bf4 when released, crysis 3, metro 2033 and my ati 4890 is struggling
Related resources
April 14, 2013 10:03:45 AM

To be honest man and not to be mean but both are rather outdated. So its six, half a dozen or the other....I'd go with the GPU but it's likely your CPU may bottleneck it....and vice versa if you went with the CPU.
April 14, 2013 10:07:27 AM

cheekyjonny said:
Hello,
my current hardware configuration is:
Phenom x4 965 @4.0ghz
Hyper 212 evo to cool it
8gb ddr3 @1600mhz gskill ram
ati 4890 1gb ddr5
240gb samsung ssd
1tb samsung spin point
am3 990fx asus sabra tooth mobo
ocz 850 watt psu
and i game at 1680x1050

what i have been wondering is should i upgrade my gpu to a gtx660 or 660ti or should i save up some more money and get a cpu upgrade to a 3570k? which would provide the best results? :)  thank you for any responses.
also i would like to say that during gaming the graphics card reaches about 80 degrees and is constant full load and the cpu only gets to about 50 degrees and 40% usage

William Reed said:
To be honest man and not to be mean but both are rather outdated. So its six, half a dozen or the other....I'd go with the GPU but it's likely your CPU may bottleneck it....and vice versa if you went with the CPU.

Thank you for an honest answer and i know both are outdated :(  i wish i had more money for better hardware but i have to get by with what i got, so do you think i should get the gpu first then when i get some more money invest into a cpu?

April 14, 2013 10:09:56 AM

I do not think there is a correct answer. If it were me, I'd get the CPU first because it has more practical applications outside of gaming that can hep with but if I were focused just on gaming, I may go for the GPU. .I do not know enough to warrant an informed opinion on which to choose because I do not know if one would dramatically help with out the other. One thing to consider is, maybe you can overclock that card and wring some more life out of it.

EDIT...you may also be able to buy that same card and crossfire it then buy a little better chip.
April 14, 2013 10:18:59 AM

okay, thank you for the response William Reed. I am going to go for a gtx 660 first because i mainly game on this rig and the graphics card is way to noisey for my liking so a msi twin frozr 660 should do the trick. Thank you for all the input
!