Which build do you guys think is better!!?

Digital Storm or Craigslist

• Total voters

davoo23

Honorable
Apr 14, 2013
Alright i'm in search of a gaming/video editing/game streaming computer and i found this on craigslist for $1900

Coolmaster CM Storm Trooper ATX C Case
Cyberpower 825VA Powerstrip/Surge protector
2x monitor Acerac 22 inch LED Monitors
PCPower 750W PCP&C silencer
Intel Box Intel core i7-3770k
Microsoft windows 7
Razer Naga Mouse
Corsair 8gb 2x4 D3 1600 dimm Cl Ram
Hauppauge HD PVR-2 gaming edition capture card
Asus p8z77-v Pro Thunderbolt Motherboard
Logitech Webcam-
EVGA GTx670 Graphics Card
Seagate 2tb 3.5 7200rpm int harddrive
Razer Black widow keyboard battlefield 3 edition
Astro A-50 Wireless headset
Companion 2 series Bose speakers
(the guy says it comes with fans and all that and everything works)

and then there's this from Digital Storm for about 1900 w/ shipping

Config # 809734 Cost $ 1828

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master 942 HAF X
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i5 3570K 3.40 GHz (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 (Intel Z77 Chipset) (Features Thermal Armor and Thermal Radar)
System Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 800W Corsair GS (Dual SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB (Includes PhysX)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 Extreme Performance
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Large)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

I suck with computer hardware so i figured i'd ask you bosses to help me out

g-unit1111

Titan
You do not under any circumstances need to pay $89 for a surge protector, that's a massive ripoff. You're also getting ripped off on all those expensive peripherals, you can always buy those after you build your rig. You can buy one at Home Dept for $10 and that's all you need. If you need something more than that consider an automatic power supply (APS) unit. It has a battery that will allow you to safely shut down your PC in the event of a power outage. Definitely build your own - companies like Digital Storm and Origin are good if you don't know how to build your own but there's plenty of resources on the internet that will help you build it yourself for far less.

I'd suggest a combination of the two builds - you don't need an i7 for a gaming rig:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9B SE2 37.9 CFM CPU Cooler ($60.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($66.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB Video Card ($425.91 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case ($132.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk III 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1481.80
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-04-14 14:16 EDT-0400)

Then add whatever monitors, keyboard and mouse you want.

yasserBasha

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013
+1 for CPU and no need for protector

Though i would choose a CM 690 II case & Corsair Professional Gold 750W 80 PLUS Gold PSU for best quality (That's just me)

Best wishes

davoo23

Honorable
Apr 14, 2013

lol yo i'm a huge g-unit fan, but besides the gaming will the i5 handle game video editing and streaming like on twitch?

g-unit1111

Titan

Oh yeah. Things like all those expensive peripherals you can add on as you go, you don't need to get those initially. I really want a mechanical keyboard but I'm not in the mood to pay $149 for one right now.

davoo23

Honorable
Apr 14, 2013

I want to know if the craigslist option is better than the digital storm one, and vice versa

g-unit1111

Titan

You're getting ripped off with both builds - neither one is really that great of an option. I definitely question $89 for a surge protector. Build your own and then like I said add the additional peripherals as you go along.

davoo23

Honorable
Apr 14, 2013

I've never built a computer a day in my life, i'm a software nerd. Last thing i want to do is mess up some wires and have the sh blow up lol

g-unit1111

Titan

Well you could buy the parts and have someone build it for you, or you could buy the parts and pay a local part shop to build it for you. But you're really getting ripped off by that Craigslist build. I wouldn't pay that kind of money for it. With the amount of cash you're throwing down on all those overpriced peripherals and that $89 surge bar you could easily add a second graphics card and OS license.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
This is another build, the mobo isn't the best for overclocking but it will get the job done. And no crossfire/sli support. This is more of a budgeted build whiling still using good quality parts. Pretty much a bang for your buck build while trying to squeeze out performance before the price hike to the next level get crazy.

In terms of performance it's on par with G-Units. Same type of cpu/gpu which are the 2 big factors. His build went with a nicer cpu heatink, mobo, case, PSU. I used the money saved in those areas since it didn't directly impact performance (except mobo if you want SLI/Crossfire, and his may be capable of better OC's), and put it elsewhere like the 2tb HD, blu ray burner, and larger SSD. Since both are solid builds in my opinion I would use both as a reference point for what you want so far, along with other builds here in the forums theres a lot here which will fall in your budget range.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G43 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Patriot Gamer 2 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($47.98 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($184.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ Microcenter)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($389.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Cooler Master Megaflow 110.0 CFM 200mm Fan ($11.93 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1319.80
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-04-14 22:42 EDT-0400)

g-unit1111

Titan

BD-R is a subjective thing, the problems that I've run into with BD-R on PC far outweigh the convenience factor. Blank BD-R media is incredibly expensive. Playback software isn't included with OEM drives and it can run anywhere from $75 - $100 for a license. And it doesn't always play movies. How much hard drive space you really need also is a subjective thing. With all the music, movies, etc that I have on my laptop's 750GB hard drive and I still have 250GB free. On my PC I have my SSD for the OS and main programs only. My games and media are stored on the second drive. That just puts things in perspective.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008

Very true on all points, it's all subjective. I just wanted to show what could be done for around the same price. I know if I were to build one myself right now it would have a 3tb HD, 64gb SSD, 3570k, 7970, blue ray reader or writer, and probably a mobo in between both of what we have in our builds.

It all comes down to what you use it for and than try to personalize it to your tastes.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah when it comes down to personal touches that sort of thing is really all subjective. I always use dual DVD drives and a full 5.25" flash card reader even though you don't really need them because that's kind of my signature. If I were doing my build over I'd use a Define R4 for the case, Asrock Extreme 6, OCZ Vector for the SSD, Noctua D14, and a Gigabyte GTX 670.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Taking a quick glance at surge protectors (as in 10min research), I came up with this. More pricey than I usually go for surge protectors which is under $20 but from what I read it looks good. And provides more than adequate protection. And lets be honest having a surge take out a computer or any component is a PITA.

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-TLP810NET-Protector-Outlet/dp/B00005T3Q2

I would just do a quick bit of research on power surges and pick one out from there. Actually pick a good one to protect everything for the computer. Than a few more cheaper ones for all the electronics in the house that are a little pricey (TV, fridge, etc) that aren't already connected to a power surge.

Had a power surge take out my wireless router before, it was the only thing not connected as I ran out of room. A few extra bucks spent for another power surge would have saved me $70 for it's replacement. So yeah a good power surge is a good investment, it's cheap insurance on keeping things working. And quite frankly it's one of those things you will never actually value but can save you some money in the long run.

g-unit1111

Titan

I tell people that if you need more than what a standard surge bar provides the absolute best investment you can make is an uninterruptable power supply. These units are surge bars with an extra battery backup that allows you to safely shut down your system in the event of a power outage. We use these where I work and they've saved our asses on multiple occasions. I live in an area where blackouts are all too common of an occurrence (it's Southern California - home of the rolling blackout :sarcastic: ). So having something like this is a more than worthwhile investment for such an occasion. There's a company called APC that specializes in these units and you can buy one for $50 - $70 depending on what size battery you need.