Why is my PSU screeching during graphic intensive applications?

xxViper

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013
A few months ago I noticed that there was a loud screeching noise coming from my PC. Today I opened my case up to try and identify where the sound was coming from, and I'm 99% sure it's the power supply. This sound only happens when I'm running graphically intensive applications like games or GPU benchmarks. As soon as I close the application and go back to my desktop the screeching goes away entirely.

For example, when I'm playing Battlefield 3 or Arma3 the screeching is very loud. Also, when I look around in the game the screeching kinda changes its pitch.

It's not my graphics card. I recently upgraded to a GTX670 FTW from an hd5870 and the screeching noise was present both before and after I upgraded my video card. Also, it does not sound like it's coming from the video card, it sounds like it's coming from the PSU.

The main reason why I finally decided to investigate the issue is because I bought this graphics card to play arma 3 on ultra settings smoothly, but I think my broken power supply is not giving the card the (consistent) power it needs, if that's possible. I'm not getting the performance that I excepted I would get. People who have slower CPU's and GPU's than me are reporting better performance than I am getting. When the game's framerate dips, the screeching from the PSU becomes choppy and louder.

So is it possible that the bad PSU is causing poor performance in games like arma 3? And is replacing it my only option?

I made a quick video of the issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HySOrnvyaZI

My specs:
PSU: Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W
Mobo: gigabyte ex58-ud3r
GPU: EVGA GTX 670 FTW
Win 7
8gb ddr3 ram
1tb

Hi - BigTroll is correct - TT PSU's not that great.
Plz read this review of your unit:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermaltake-TR2-RX-750-W-Power-Supply-Review/902
The key statement that it cannot deliver it's rated power at high temps exemplifies
your situation. "a flawed product that must be avoided at all costs" pretty much
says it all.

I think your only option is to replace with a quality unit.