Sign in with
Your question

Building a gaming PC. Needs to run Skyrim, $700-1000 USD budget!

Last response: in Systems
April 14, 2013 12:30:58 PM

My tax return is coming in pretty soon. I'm looking at getting about $650 USD back from the government in about a month or so. In that same time I'm gonna be saving up some money (working as a personal trainer and a delivery driver at a restaurant) so I could build a gaming PC. My laptop's been crapping out on me and I need something far more reliable. I'm tired of buying a new laptop every 1.5 years.

The thing is, I know little to nothing about building a PC other than having a sick motherboard and graphics card. I honestly couldn't even type out a list of required pieces. So I could definitely use a little help. I've been doing some research, but any cut-to-the-chase advice would certainly be appreciated.

Like I said, I'm gonna be saving up a little bit of money these next few weeks. Now, I don't need anything over the top super insane. Honestly, the only game I'd like to look nice is Skyrim. I've been a huge nerd over the Elder Scrolls series and that is a game I would really like to enjoy. Other than that, I don't need anything super special, like Battlefield 3 or anything. My budget is going to be between $700-1000 USD, $1000 USD being the absolute max that I would spend.

Please, if you could give me any advice, it'd be very much appreciated!

EDIT: Forgot the form

Approximate Purchase Date: About a month from now, no rush.
Budget Range: $700-1000 after shipping
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, mostly for Skyrim. And general browsing and homework completion
Are you buying a monitor: Yes
Parts to Upgrade: N/A
Do you need to buy OS: I don't think so? Can't I just find someone who has it?
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com
Parts Preferences: I don't know specifically.
Overclocking: I don't know?
SLI or Crossfire: I don't know?
Your Monitor Resolution: Whichever monitor I can find.
Additional Comments: As you can see I don't have a firm grasp on building a computer. This is why I need help. I apologize for the lack of clarity or lack of concrete answers.

EDIT 2: If my needs could be met by an even cheaper price, please let me know as well.
April 14, 2013 1:33:04 PM

batuchka said:
On the lower side of your budget range

$649AR all off NewEgg

Wow, thank you very much! This was very helpful! I wasn't expecting a completely drawn out list of pieces. This is very much appreciated. Is there anything else I would need for my PC, or does this cover everything that building requires?
Related resources
April 14, 2013 2:41:47 PM

Tahiti LE i5 - it's 15$ over the budget but you have a good start.

Tahiti LE FX-6100- here you have a watercooler in case you want to overclock the fx cpu.

What's good with the FX-system is that you can upgrade the cpu to the incoming steamroller cpu without replacing the motherboards so you will save a bit.
a b 4 Gaming
April 14, 2013 3:00:59 PM

Valentin_N said:
Tahiti LE i5 - it's 15$ over the budget but you have a good start.

Tahiti LE FX-6100- here you have a watercooler in case you want to overclock the fx cpu.

What's good with the FX-system is that you can upgrade the cpu to the incoming steamroller cou without replacing the motherboards so you will save a bit.

+1
!