Sign in with
Your question

Is ASUS M5A97 R2.0 Compatible With AMD FX-6300

Last response: in Motherboards
April 14, 2013 2:29:04 PM

Hi everyone, Is the ASUS M5A97 R2.0 motherboard compatible with the AMD FX-6300?

I have heard from some people that it will work and from others that it wont.

Does anyone here know if it will work? I am not a computer expert and I have no idea on how to flash the BIOS

Link to the motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
April 15, 2013 8:05:27 AM

utroz said:
Yes it is supported but you might need to update the BIOS. Hope this helps.

Source: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A97_R20/#support_CP...

Is there any way to determine if it is the correct version before I buy it? I am not a computer expert so I don't know how to update the bios.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
April 15, 2013 8:45:50 AM

Hitman1 said:
Is there any way to determine if it is the correct version before I buy it? I am not a computer expert so I don't know how to update the bios.

The M5A97 R2.0 should support AMD FX CPUs out of the box.
A Bios update is recommended though.

a c 150 Ĉ ASUS
a c 558 V Motherboard
a b À AMD
April 15, 2013 9:02:39 AM

With the R2.0 you can use the flashback for updating the BIOS. No supported CPU needed (you don't have to start the board for flashing the BIOS).
April 15, 2013 11:44:32 AM

bartholomew said:
Hitman1 said:

The M5A97 R2.0 should support AMD FX CPUs out of the box.
A Bios update is recommended though.

Just to be clear if I build my pc and startup it will start and work but I should get a bios update?

Is the bios update just like a regular update that I download and install? The thing is that I am not an expert and I have never done this before so I dont want to do it and screw up.

April 15, 2013 12:44:50 PM

If the bios is not up to date to run the 6 core, it will not post. you may need another cpu to boot it, flash the rom and then install your 6 core and move on. Its a 2 minute ordeal assuming you have a already compatible chip or can borrow one to boot it into the bios.
a c 150 Ĉ ASUS
a c 558 V Motherboard
a b À AMD
April 15, 2013 1:21:31 PM

Newer ASUS boards feature the Flashback that allow users to flash the BIOS without starting the board, therefore the BIOS is flashed no matter what CPU is installed.
M5A97 R2.0 is one of these boards.
May 6, 2013 8:56:02 AM

I know this is an old post but M5A97 R2.0 will post and boot an fx 6300 out of the box. You can update the bios once you are in to the OS with the included software from Asus. You download the bios from Asus website and save it to your desktop get in to the ai suite and update bios and select the saved file. It then updatez the bios restart and poof your now running the latest and greatest bios. Easy as pie.
a c 150 Ĉ ASUS
a c 558 V Motherboard
a b À AMD
May 6, 2013 11:40:22 AM

Yes, It all depends on the board manufacture date. Newer boards will for sure support the CPU and no BIOS update needed.
!