FX 6300 4.5Ghz OC strange temp/multiplier issues

cmi86

Distinguished
My vcore varies drastically .3-.5v from what is set in BIOS to what is displayed in windows with CPU-Z and HWMonitor. I have compensated in the bios to have the idle voltage in windows at 1.44. The idle temps at this voltage are very acceptable however the temps jump up to 50-55 under load when LLC drops the vcore to only 1.36... Not only does this temp seem high for such a low voltage but the CPU multiplier drops to 7 when it hits around 50c which is very odd as i have disabled anything to do with adjusting clock speeds in BIOS. I had similar results on a separate mobo. This OC is rock solid and has passed 24 hours of prime. I just need to know if the temps and multiplier behavior are normal or what, thanks in advance. Specs are in my sig.

Sounds like some sort of power saving is still effecting your cpu. Also that v-droop is crazy... Do you have any LLC options in your bios?? the temps are good.. anything under 60c is in the zone... Did you use the same PSU with the last mobo?? some psu's fluctuate greatly under load.

cmi86

Distinguished

I actually resolved this issue by moving away from 4+1 phase boards, I tried 3 different 4+1 970 boards all with similar overclocking issues. What I found to be happening is that the VRM's were getting so hot they were bleeding heat into the socket causing the CPU to reach above 62c and thermal throttle the multiplier down to X7 for a few seconds and then back up. I bought an Asus M5A99FX Pro 2.0 with an 8+2 power phase system and I instantly had a rock solid 4.5 Ghz with 1.4 v-core (that only droops to 1.38) and temps were maxing at 45c as opposed to 62+ I have come to find that these FX chips really do need a good board if you want to reach their potential.

Lazermonkey

Honorable
Mar 28, 2013
I have the ASrock 970 Extreme 4 with the 4+1 and the FX 6300.

My system is sitting at 4.2Ghz with load temps in OCCT or Prime95 maxing out at 55-58c

The voltage is set at 1.3 and is quite stable.

I think it depends on the cooling, PSU and how you have your overall system set up.