Tags:
  • Windows
  • Windows 7
  • 64bit
  • How To
  • 32bit
Last response: in Windows 7
April 14, 2013 5:50:20 PM

How would you upgrade Windows 32bit to Windows 64bit?

More about : upgrade windows 32bit 64bit

a b $ Windows 7
April 14, 2013 6:00:55 PM

Clean installation is the ONLY way to do it. There is no direct upgrade path. This means that you will have to back up all data before you start, and reinstall all software after installation completes.
April 15, 2013 9:27:44 PM

ex_bubblehead said:
Clean installation is the ONLY way to do it. There is no direct upgrade path. This means that you will have to back up all data before you start, and reinstall all software after installation completes.

I saw that there was an upgrade option when installing Windows 7, will that work?
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
April 15, 2013 9:31:25 PM

NO. You have to wipe the drive and install clean. There is no other way.
a b $ Windows 7
April 15, 2013 9:33:30 PM

ex_bubblehead is absolutely correct. A clean install is the only way to go when going from 32-bit to 64-bit.
April 17, 2013 6:49:48 PM

ex_bubblehead said:

Ok thanks, is there a recommended program you use for backing up and restoring data?
a b $ Windows 7
April 17, 2013 7:36:16 PM

I don't know which is the best but I have been using Norton Ghost 15 ($9.95 on Amazon) and used it recently to restore after a hard drive failed. I also use Acronis True Image on one computer but have never had to use it to restore any files. Here's a list of free ones - http://www.techradar.com/us/news/software/applications/...
I have heard good things about EaseUS and Macrium.
April 20, 2013 10:48:39 PM

ex_bubblehead said:

If I backup and restore, will I get back all my data, including stuff like the desktop. Also, is there an option to install 64bit when reinstalling Windows or does the 64bit version of Windows come in a different CD that the 32bit?
a b $ Windows 7
April 21, 2013 1:03:13 AM

Dood76 said:
If I backup and restore, will I get back all my data, including stuff like the desktop.

Depends entirely on what/how you back up. If you back up the 'desktop' folder you will be able to restore it. Same goes for the others (documents, music, videos, etc.). You cannot however simply backup/restore programs, they must be reinstalled.

Dood76 said:
Also, is there an option to install 64bit when reinstalling Windows or does the 64bit version of Windows come in a different CD that the 32bit?

Retail discs have both on them and you choose during setup. OEM come 32-bit or 64-bit (only 1) on a disc.
April 21, 2013 7:17:54 AM

So there is no way to basically get your computer to how it was before you upgraded to 64bit?
a b $ Windows 7
April 21, 2013 8:37:19 AM

Yes, but it requires work on your part. There's no magic button you can press here, you have to do some grunt work to get your system back to what it was.
April 22, 2013 9:27:23 AM

ex_bubblehead said:
Yes, but it requires work on your part. There's no magic button you can press here, you have to do some grunt work to get your system back to what it was.

But when you backup your C drive, doesnt it back up everything?
a b $ Windows 7
April 22, 2013 10:13:01 AM

Dood76 said:
But when you backup your C drive, doesnt it back up everything?

A backup program only backs up what YOU told it to backup. You cannot restore programs with a backup program, they MUST BE REINSTALLED from the original media.
!