Sysprep while connected to a domain

Jtlie

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2013
I'm planning to use sysprep to place my HDD into another PC. Will this disconnect me from my domain that i'm connected to?

winoutreach5

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
First, when it comes to deploying, attempting to deploy, or simply refreshing any Windows media, you first might want to check out the reimaging rights document available from Microsoft here. The document reviews the rights of creating images and using those images for deployment scenarios.

Next, and prior to using Sysprep, it first would be wise to review not only what Sysprep is but also the best practices as it pertains to using it. As you can see in the TechNet library article, What is Sysprep?, Sysprep prepares an installation of Windows for duplication, auditing, and customer delivery.

As stated in the Sysprep Overview document from TechNet, the Sysprep tool will only run if the computer is a member of a workgroup and not a domain. If your computer is joined to a domain, Sysprep will remove the computer from the domain. With that said, it would be best if you removed the machine from the domain prior to running Sysprep.

Audit mode enables you to add additional device drivers or applications to a Windows installation. After you install the additional drivers and applications, you can test the integrity of the Windows installation. In order to boot out of audit mode and back in to OOBE (Out-of-box-experience), you will want to run the following command from an administrator command prompt:

sysprep /oobe /generalize

Please note that the command and switches are also stated and explained in the library article provided above as well.

Also, it is important to note that each time you run the sysprep command with the /generalize switch, the licensing state of the Windows is reset, otherwise known as rearmed. If your intention is to transfer a Windows image to different hardware, you will want to use the /generalize switch only once and then capture the image.

In the event that you do have to run sysprep multiple times prior to capture, you would run sysprep with an answer file that has the SkipRearm setting enabled. You can review the number of times you can use the SkipRearm setting by running the Slmgr.vbs /dlv command in an elevated command prompt. Bear in mind, that by using the SkipRearm setting, you are not resetting the licensing state of the Windows installation. The command you would use in this case is as follows:

sysprep /generalize /unattend:answerfile (the answerfile part would be the name / file path of where your unattend.xml file is located)

More information on this can be found in the How Sysprep Works TechNet library article.

Finally, there is also a great deal of resources for various deployment, virtualization and management scenarios available from the Springboard Series on TechNet.

Hope this helps!

Jessica
Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro

Jtlie

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2013

I only understand half of this, and still don't know the answer on my question. I'm a kind of noob with computers...

winoutreach5

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011

My apologies. What part did not make sense? The 3rd paragraph specifically stated the answer to your question regarding domain connectivity here:

As stated in the Sysprep Overview document from TechNet, the Sysprep tool will only run if the computer is a member of a workgroup and not a domain. If your computer is joined to a domain, Sysprep will remove the computer from the domain. With that said, it would be best if you removed the machine from the domain prior to running Sysprep.

Again, prior to using Sysprep, I would strongly recommend re-reading my response and reading the provided library articles from the Springboard Series. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jessica
Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro
Springboard Series on TechNet

TRENDING THREADS