Best method of accessing media files on my DNLA server while outside my network.

dbhosttexas

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
The title is pretty self explanatory but let's get into the nitty gritty.

I have a home network set up with a DD-WRT router (Buffalo WZR-600DHP), that I am about to stuff a 3tb USB HDD onto, and set up uShare DNLA services on it, as well as OpenVPN.

I have a media library spread across various PCs in the house, video and audio, that I want to centralize, and play out via DNLA, however I also want to be able to access this on the road.

I am thinking the best / most secure way to do this is to simply run my VPN tunnel into the network, and access the DNLA server directly from my client device (Most likely either going to be my Android phone, or a WinXP netbook).

Are there other options I am just not considering that would allow me to securely access my data without allowing outsiders access to my network?

SSH (and port forwarding)?

Always a good idea to give yourself at least TWO access methods, just in case something goes wrong (esp. if you need to fix the other access method remotely!), something gets blocked by an ISP, etc.