Report: Intels Haswell-E Processor to Support DDR4 Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

trumpeter1994

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
This makes me not want to upgrade to haswell, I don't want to get stuck with DDR3 in when DDR4 is emerging like I did with my Core 2 Quad which got me stuck on DDR2 when DDR3 was coming out.

"the Haswell-E will have from 12 to 16 cores"
What just happened? oO
Do they wanted to write 6 cores and 8 cores (so 12 threads and 16 threads)? This is a serious jump from 6 cores to 12-16 if this is true...

hunshiki

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011
Who doubt the core numbers.. check -E editions, and Xeon CPUs. We are not talking about consumer grade CPUs, it's Haswell-E. Something that the regular Joe cannot afford or just won't buy. I think it's quite possible Intel will ship it with so many cores. (Maybe they hired an AMD engineer?)

Major errors in this article. DDR4 HAS been finalized; JEDEC released the final specification in September 2012. Production of DDR4 began in the second half of 2012. DDR4 DIMMs were demoed in early 2013, and will be sold beginning in late 2013 (for servers, since no consumer boards will support DDR4 at that time).

InvalidError

Titan
G

I believe crucial are on track to release DDR4 sticks for the end of this year, clock speed will be higher, efficiency higher as well as higher density, although we don't really know what to do with faster memory right now, more RAM is always good as well as lower energy bills at this time

That stuff was produced before the DDR4 specification was finalized (which happened in September 2012). There doesn't have to be a specification for people to produce some prototypes, indeed the specification probably takes lessons learned from prototypes into account.

Sigh... the GDDR5 used in graphics card is a modified version of DDR3 memory. DDR4 is newer and more advanced than GDDR5. Most likely they'll later develop a GDDR6 based on DDR4.

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010

Actually, GDDR5 is based on GDDR4 and GDDR3, which were based on DDR2.

RE this "report", we've known this for ages...

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
"Given that none of these details have been finalized"

All of the details have been finalized, they just haven't been made public yet. Fudzilla is wrong in implying that "consumers" will get 12-16 cores. That'll be the higher end versions of the chip. -E will still be 6 cores...maybe 8 depending on what business decision the higher ups make.

Truckinupga

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2012
I keep hearing different stories, One says DDR4 to be released for use soon while others say it could be years. It sure would be nice to get some credible rock solid news to go by.

sidglide

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
RAM speeds don't matter at all. I changed my RAM from DDR3-1066 to DDR3-1600 and saw no difference in performance. Enlighten me if there are other opinions.

InvalidError

Titan

Neither is really more "advanced" than the other. The fundamental DRAM structure has not changed in 20+ years and all SDR/DDR/GDDR 1/2/3/4/5/etc. do is tweak the front-end and addressing structure that manages access to the storage matrix. This is a large part of the reason why you can buy DIMMs that pack over 65 billion transistors (8GB) for less than $60.

Most improvements in DRAM are closely related to silicon process improvements and new DRAM standards simply tweak things some more to account for that... one extra register here, another one there, trading extra latency cycles for higher bandwidth. None of the "new standards" make any major technical improvements on previous versions of the same. What are the differences between DDR1 and DDR4? Minimum clock rates and chip densities have been increased by 8X, min/max latency has been increased by ~7 cycles, operating voltages have dropped to follow process shrinks... nothing particularly noteworthy.

Since the first step of designing a GDDR5 DRAM is ripping out just about everything that made the DRAM matrix comply with the DDR2/3 spec to replace it with GDDR5-specific variants, GDDR5 cannot really be called a "derivative" from DDR2/3... it does not reuse anything that specifically belonged to DDR2/3, just the generic DRAM matrix that can be turned into anything (DDR1/2/3/4, GDDR1/3/5, eDRAM, XDR, etc.) depending on what you wrap it with.

If I had to say DDRx/GDDRx were derived from something, I would say they are derived from PC66 SDRAM: PC66 introduced synchronous logic in DRAM's internal structures along with synchronous IO and nearly all changes since then have been about adding more of that for pipelining to accommodate faster clocks; more aggressively so on the GDDR front. DDR and GDDR are relatively minor tweaks by comparison.

natoco

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
ddr4's performance is no better than ddr3 atm, Its all about power consumption, ironic they are pairing it with a 12-15 core cpu lol. It should be on the new haswell 1150 socket platform to show its real benefit, But intel make all the enthusiasts pay for new tech vs the common consumer. Until the performance of drr4 match's its price tag, no one should care to much about the marketing hype around it. Plus cpu performance has not even doubled in 5 years for 99% of programs making the memory bottle neck a complete load of bs. The only thing that needs more memory bandwidth is gpus, Bad time for pc's. Bring on skylake and volta cause with the current stuff, I would not pay thousands of dollars for not even double the performance. And then theres a cdrive format and win8 to convince me not to pay. crud, absolute crud

Status
Not open for further replies.