X79 worth it for gaming/future proofing?

mrbowler

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012
Hello. I a building an new gaming PC and I am having a hard time deciding on what ASUS motherboard to get. Is it worth it to get an X79 2011 board (e.g. ASUS rampage or Sabertooth) for gaming and future proofing, or should I stick with an 1155 (e.g. ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe)? Thanks!

Simple answer I really dont think so. In order for the X79 and the socket 2011 Intel® Core™ i7's you are going to see a major change in how applications are being written. Right now the vast majority of application are being written for a single threads and when it comes to games they are very few that use more than 4 threads. So while you might see some that will run on more threads than 4 the problem that arises from that is they really are not getting much performance from the extra threads in comparison to the effort it takes to written it.

So for gaming I think you are going to find that you should be good for 3+ year from 1155 Intel® Core™ i5.

mrbowler

Honorable
Nov 28, 2012

Ah! I had not considered the fact that apps are not being written for the 2011 stuff yet. Thank you very much! I know that you can never build a machine that is 100% future proof, but you always hope you can.

no reason to get 2011 for gaming. ivy bridge suits you fine for that

and as for the motherboard goes, dont waste your time with a board that costs more than 180 dollars. something like a gigabyte ud4h has basically all the features that you will ever use and something basic like a asus z77-v LE PLUS will satisfy 95% of users out there