Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Windows 8.1 May Reintroduce Boot-To-Desktop Mode

Last response: in News comments
April 15, 2013 11:40:19 AM

This would definitely be great. The metro UI just isn't needed on a desktop/laptop.
April 15, 2013 11:40:46 AM

It has nothing to do with "at your own pace". Some people, like myself just plain don't like tiles even after having giving them a shot.
Related resources
April 15, 2013 11:41:09 AM

Finally. Common sense comes to Redmond.
April 15, 2013 11:56:12 AM

Good luck to M$. I really don't think they understand the market place. Poor sales, IMHO, are being driven by the fact that businesses will not spend the money on it after finally having spent a considerable amount of money to upgrade to 7. Maybe doz 9 or 10 will be the next best seller.
April 15, 2013 12:01:14 PM

You know what's gonna happen, people are gonna rejoice, then realize that they are pressing the start button to go to the screen to open an app, and then they'll say, "man, this sucks!"
April 15, 2013 12:05:21 PM

Maybe they are learning from this metro crap.
April 15, 2013 12:07:43 PM

Allow me to disable metro completely. Then I might be a little happier.
April 15, 2013 12:20:34 PM

The issue isn't with their push to create a new style of computing across devices, but more of the poor execution on the desktop front. The metro-slapped-onto-desktop approach was a bad idea, and I feel like their innovation was just half assed. They created a start menu replacement that lacked any benefits for a parallel workspace, so they just left in the traditional windows desktop.
April 15, 2013 12:20:51 PM

Windows 8 really has a lot going for it. So I think Microsoft would be wise to give consumers the choice of UI, while still allowing access to the Metro UI if they want to run marketplace apps. More choice and letting the customer tailor the system to their need/wants is not a bad thing.
April 15, 2013 12:30:38 PM

"Many people may disagree, but one of Microsoft's biggest mistakes with Windows 8 is forcing desktop and laptop customers to boot straight into the new Modern UI overlay."

Who disagrees? Practically everyone is saying that Metro, while not inherently bad, should be optional, particularly for desktop users. If I'm not mistaken the feedback they got during testing noted this too, so they shouldn't be surprised at the outcome.
April 15, 2013 12:33:28 PM

... and a improved win7 style start button with proper indexed search... and aero or improved something... this win8 desktop theme is ugly...
April 15, 2013 12:37:30 PM

Why can't we have both at the same time?? Why can't Metro sit INSIDE my desktop as an active background? That's what Metro seems to be anyway, is a bunch of active widgets. It seems like this should not be difficult to make happen. Best of both worlds. Metro for those who like it, but same old desktop for people who don't.
April 15, 2013 12:37:43 PM

If they are kind enough to give you a choice, this is golden. I don't want this through an obscure registry mod; don't be embarrassed to give me the option. Apple "knows" what its users want, MS gives you the choice. If you take away that choice, you are not much different - and PC sales will reflect it.
April 15, 2013 12:40:42 PM

Looks like M$ is finally starting to listen to its users, somewhat.
April 15, 2013 12:41:10 PM

Not going to happen guys and gals..Microsoft is phasing out the desktop
April 15, 2013 12:52:41 PM

Don't care. I can live with the change. Once I customize the start screen it's much faster for me to get to my programs.
April 15, 2013 12:54:34 PM

I despise the start screen. Too cluttered with all those ugly tiles. Metro is a flaming pile of garbage.
April 15, 2013 12:57:46 PM

It's strange they didn't made it optional from the beginning but, for me, it is even more surprising how many people have a problem with pressing Win+D.
April 15, 2013 12:58:08 PM

It's strange they didn't made it optional from the beginning but, for me, it is even more surprising how many people have a problem with pressing Win+D.
April 15, 2013 1:10:02 PM

Do that and put the Start button back. Only then, will Windows 8 give any sort of competition to Windows XP/7.
April 15, 2013 1:10:27 PM

Do that and put the Start button back. Only then, will Windows 8 give any sort of competition to Windows XP/7.
April 15, 2013 1:27:43 PM

So people complained when Microsoft hadn't done much to alter their OS in decades. They also applauded Apple (who never changes their also-stolen OS) for keeping theirs the same.
April 15, 2013 1:28:00 PM

The same people complain that Microsoft wasn't compatible across all device platforms. They applaud Apple for having synchronized integration.
April 15, 2013 1:28:17 PM

Microsoft releases a new version of Windows that is lightweight, secure, simple enough for a 4 year old to figure out, changes on what was the same for decades, and plays nice with all other devices. Now people complain that they got exactly what they wanted.
April 15, 2013 1:33:28 PM

doogansquest said:
The same people complain that Microsoft wasn't compatible across all device platforms. They applaud Apple for having synchronized integration.

Apple synchronizes well, but they were smart enough not to make iOS and OS X the same. They did what works best for each type of product and made them work well together. M$'s approach is make everything the same. As much as I despise Apple, they did it right.
a b * Windows 8
April 15, 2013 1:34:45 PM

So will there be a start button when we boot to desktop mode or not? It's pointless if there is a boot to desktop mode, and there is no start button.
April 15, 2013 1:37:37 PM

I wouldn't count on the return of BtD mode yet to retail and OEM versions. M$ has a strong financial incentive to drive users to their app store. It may be something to pacify large enterprise customers that are refusing to upgrade or buy subscriptions due to perceived retraining costs. Too early to predict much yet based on this one rumor. They've been really stubborn before about design decisions although there are many OEMs and financial pundits blaming them for the current stagnant PC sales.
April 15, 2013 1:45:34 PM

Is that for people too stupid to click on desktop mode? I am sticking with Windows 7 for different reasons.. No improvements to media center.... no sale. Drive pooling is cool.
April 15, 2013 1:45:37 PM

Funny how any post that are negative about Steve Ballmer can't be posted due to technical issues.
April 15, 2013 1:46:42 PM

Is that for people too stupid to click on desktop mode? I am sticking with Windows 7 for different reasons.. No improvements to media center.... no sale. Drive pooling is cool.
April 15, 2013 1:48:57 PM

mcd023 said:
You know what's gonna happen, people are gonna rejoice, then realize that they are pressing the start button to go to the screen to open an app, and then they'll say, "man, this sucks!"

Probably true, but you'll never hear anyone here admit that, at least not for a good long while after its done (if it's done). It's just human nature - we in general don't adapt well. We like to change things to our liking, and will stick to the way we've done things no matter what anyone says. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad. People became very accustomed to the start button and the desktop over the last near 20 years.

Don't know that half-stepping back is going to help MSFT much, but they'll probably try to say that they've at least done something. Problem is that if they don't satisfy critics, then they might end up worse off than if they just let it all sit. Then again, with the regular, yearly, refresh/update of the OS they'll be bale to take another bite at the apple in only twelve months, as opposed to holding off for an entirely new OS in three years or so.

My personal view is that the OS has suffered two problems: a poor PC market to start with, and a lot of bad publicity. The power of the internet is vast. With it being blamed for a continuation of a trend that predated it, and the overall negative push by those who don't like touch integration into their non-mobile devices or the interface since before launch, I know a lot of people who don't want to even give it a try because it just sounds so bad.

Whether you personally like 8 or not, it's relatively obvious at this point that MSFT has to do something to improve reception, because even if there are a good chunk of us who like the OS the way it is, regardless of the reason it's not selling very well. This change they will be able to promote and sell as an improvement, and they hope it will mean increased sales.
April 15, 2013 2:14:04 PM

Just give me the damn "Start" button...
April 15, 2013 2:15:00 PM

Just give me the damn "Start" button...
April 15, 2013 2:42:28 PM

Now if we could get this comment section fixed....
April 15, 2013 2:47:15 PM

MS could have given the option to boot to desktop from the start. People that wanted to use it would have been happy, people that didn't want to use it would have been happy. Why take an OPTION away? You only stand to lose if you do that.
a b * Windows 8
April 15, 2013 3:00:37 PM

I really hope they do not that would be a giant step backwards.
April 15, 2013 3:06:06 PM

Having a shared design language (Metro/Modern UI) across all platforms is not a bad move. However removing customer choice and configuration ability is a bad move. So while Metro is not necessarily my favorite, and I do spend most of my time on the desktop, I do not consider Metro a failure.

I do however think that allowing one to boot straight into the desktop would be appropriate, and also reintroducing the start button for desktop users would also be wise.

Microsoft, please make it so.
April 15, 2013 3:10:53 PM

also I consider the idea that MS is phasing out the desktop because some options are moving from the desktop control panel to the configuration part of Metro to be overstating the case. Whether or not you have a touchscreen or not, if one did and was using the OS with a touchscreen one would expect to be able to configure using your fingers. This, and the idea of consolidating configuration settings in one place instead of two or more, is I expect the main driving force behind moving some configuration settings to metro from the desktop control panel. I expect that is a more reasonable analysis than to make the assumption that the desktop is being phased out.
April 15, 2013 4:50:54 PM

Let's see if Microsoft actually backs the "we listen to our customers comments" and actually do!
April 15, 2013 5:38:39 PM

I've challenged myself to get used to the new Start Screen, and I did. I was happy with it. Then I decided to test some Start Menu alternatives (and It StartIsBack) and then I realized how good having a start menu was, and I never looked back.
April 15, 2013 8:04:57 PM

I don't believe a word of it, from what I have seen Windows 8.1 is more hardcore Metro than ever. Microsoft will not learn for the Metro disaster until it is almost to late.
April 15, 2013 11:00:45 PM

Until then, just get StartIsBack.
April 15, 2013 11:24:49 PM

Microsoft should have learned by now that biting the hand that feeds you is not a good idea, Although I use Windows 8 (With Classic Shell) I do so with a start menu and option to boot to desktop. They are not going to force people into an O.S. they are not happy with. They have forgot the main rule in sales is to keep the customer happy.
April 15, 2013 11:42:16 PM

clear indication that users are not ready for big change and that someone screwed up. MS keeps on making one blunder after another with their tinkering and tailoring of the OS. WinXP is still the best OS they made (for me). I don't want to see more interface changes, more hotkeys etc. I want to continue using what I've grown accustomed to over past 30 years. KEEP THE INTERFACE SAME. if you want to explore, make it an option (skin or theme).
April 15, 2013 11:42:50 PM

been keeping busy rolling back work laptops over the past few months to windows 7, at least microsoft is giving me something to do :D 
April 16, 2013 4:13:52 AM

I only created an account so I could vote on someone else's post. Alas, you've gotten my email address now and I have no vote buttons. I think I've been gyped.
a b * Windows 8
April 16, 2013 4:29:34 AM

What I'd like to see is the ability to shrink the start screen - say to the size of the left snap. That could fix the trouble, and stop the whole blanking everything problem of the current one.
April 16, 2013 7:14:11 AM

ik242 said:
clear indication that users are not ready for big change and that someone screwed up. MS keeps on making one blunder after another with their tinkering and tailoring of the OS. WinXP is still the best OS they made (for me). I don't want to see more interface changes, more hotkeys etc. I want to continue using what I've grown accustomed to over past 30 years. KEEP THE INTERFACE SAME. if you want to explore, make it an option (skin or theme).

That is how I feel about Windows 7. I cannot even stand XP anymore. lol
!