Secondary Sata HDD not detected on Asus Bios?

arbit3r942

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013
I built myself a new computer and my mom bought me a 1tb HDD. And I also found one of my main HDD Western Digital Caviar Green 500Gb 7200 rpm which was used as a primary hard drive from my other computer before it was fried. So my first 1tb HDD was detected, but the second one was not. And what's funny is that I happened to have an old Sata Harddrive specifically designed for a laptop, and I managed to get access to it using a second sata cord and a power cord as well provided from my Power Supply. But now from my Internal 500GB Western Digial Green Caviar Harddrive. I've connected these cord to a Gray area of the Sata port which is the Sata 6gb/s slot, instead of the other ones. And I think that's the reason because I haven't updated my bios or just do some different configuration with the bios settings. This is an Asus P8 Z77-V LK Motherboard, so everything should run fine. Also, I've enabled every 6 sata ports while using Bios, and I also set it to AHCI, which was set to default when I first had the motherboard installed. Any reason why this is happening? Thank you so much for your time, I appreciate it!!

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
Look inn the BIOS to see if there is a firmware switch that allows you to use a Marvel controller to make SATA drives bootable. The native provisions on the
SB/IB platform is for 2 SATA 3 devices, and the add-on Marvell contoller on the mobo arbitrates the other SATA 3 devices.

In my BIOS setup (I run the ASRock Extreme6) I have 2 SATA 3 and 4 SATA 2 devices that I can boot from. The BIOS allows me to boot from the other 2 SATA 3 devices, however, this takes a bit of firmware trickery and slows down the boot. If you can enable the other SATA devices as boot drives you may be able to detect them in BIOS. However, this will slow dow the boot sequence.

One other note: the fact that I cannot see the extra SATA devices in BIOS does not effect their use in Windows. The fact that BIOS doesn't see the drives has no effect on their use as devices in Windows (except that they can't be boot devices).