Lenovo ThinkPad T61 has no click functionality.

Hello. I just received my T61 in the mail today. I noticed after booting to a live Linux cd, I cannot use my left click. It does not function. I can use my right click, but not use my left click. I installed Windows XP to see if it was a Linux issue, and it's not. It does the same thing in XP. I can use an external mouse to navigate with. If I try using my track pad, when the mouse is plugged in, it disables the external mouse. Any suggestions/solutions?
3 answers Last reply
More about lenovo thinkpad t61 click functionality
  1. Well, you should be able to use a mouse with the trackpad, I've worked with many laptops and never had an issue with one turning the other off...
    However if it was like that before installing any OS or software, then it is a hardware problem in all likelihood... It looks like it has two sets of buttons one above and one below the track pad, I assume you've tried both.
    Anyways, something is wrong with it and I very much doubt you want to attempt taking it apart to see if it is anything obvious, your best bet is to send it back.

If you are opposed to this for any reason, it is usually possible to disable the trackpad and buttons on most laptops(Not all, in my experience). Check the bios or look for the trackpad button on one of the function keys. That at least will keep your mouse conflict in check so you don't accidentally brush it and turn off your usb mouse.

Edit: Assuming you can get logged into windows xp, have you tried double tapping on the trackpad? It seems odd that the two sets of buttons AND the trackpad click functionality would both have come busted... Possibly not hardware when I consider this, would be important information to have considering...
  2. Kadathan said:
    Well, you should be able to use a mouse with the trackpad, I've worked with many laptops and never had an issue with one turning the other off...
    However if it was like that before installing any OS or software, then it is a hardware problem in all likelihood... It looks like it has two sets of buttons one above and one below the track pad, I assume you've tried both.
    Anyways, something is wrong with it and I very much doubt you want to attempt taking it apart to see if it is anything obvious, your best bet is to send it back.

If you are opposed to this for any reason, it is usually possible to disable the trackpad and buttons on most laptops(Not all, in my experience). Check the bios or look for the trackpad button on one of the function keys. That at least will keep your mouse conflict in check so you don't accidentally brush it and turn off your usb mouse.

Edit: Assuming you can get logged into windows xp, have you tried double tapping on the trackpad? It seems odd that the two sets of buttons AND the trackpad click functionality would both have come busted... Possibly not hardware when I consider this, would be important information to have considering...

I've disabled the trackpad and the red pointer inorder to use the laptop with CentOS. I've taken apart laptops also and I've never even heard of this issue. I might just have to replace the trackpad or even just keep everything disabled and use an external mouse. I found out that if the trackpad and the pointer is disabled, CTRL+C and CTRL+V doesn't work. I only paid $100 for the laptop and so replacing the motherboard would be too costly. This is just strange. Maybe my friend can figure it out when we go back to college on Thursday. He's known for his expertise.
  3. Copy, cut and paste are integral commands built into the OS, they shouldn't have anything to do with wether your trackpad is disabled or not. If that's what is going on then it is a strange issue indeed.
    The only entertainable explanation I can think of is that you have a short which is causing specific user input(Left click in this instance) to be interpreted as something other than what was intended. That would explain why several buttons and a trackpad can all try to send the same signal and fail; the issue must exist at the point where these inputs coincide. Unfortunately I am not so familiar with the location of this in a laptop motherboard, perhaps your friend will be of more help than myself at this point.
    Or you can use a mouse, as God intended, and keep that trackpad disabled :p
Ask a new question

Read More

Mice Windows XP Thinkpad Lenovo Linux Components