What is the safest way to protect data on a HDD ?

dan99t

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
Hi,
I want to send my hard disk overseas in mail ( Courier ) which has important data.
The HDD has 5 Partitions, 4 of which are data partitions.
How do I protect my data in case if the HDD ends up in wrong hands ?
The only way I thought of was BitLocker or TrueCrypt but do I need to encrypt the system partition OR do I need a system partition at all, because the HDD would be used on a different machine & Windows won’t boot on that machine anyway. So why not just format or delete the system partition after I have encrypted the data partitions ? Would that be good solution ?
Also can I encrypt few folders in one partitions with ” Folder Lock software “ with a different password so I have more protection ?
The reason being a software called “ Forensic Disk Decrypter “ by Elcom soft which claims to decrypt major 3 encryption software namely BitLocker, TryeCrypt & PGP.
So where does that leave us ?
Thanks

USAFRet

Titan
Don't send the boot disk. Having Windows on it will just complicate things at the other end.

Get another HDD. Copy over all the actual data you need to send. Encrypt with TrueCrypt.
Send the TrueCrypt password via another means. Snail mail or email. NOT in the same package as the HDD.