Sign in with
Your question

New motherboard bundle, CPU up to 105°c, is it now damaged?

Last response: in CPUs
April 16, 2013 12:59:47 AM

Hi,

I've recently purchased a motherboard bundle with an overclocked 3770k to 4.6GHz and a Corsair H60 heatsink. I installed the bundle but noticed that behind the fan the panels on the radiator were completely bent on one side and contacted my suppliers who sent out a replacement heatsink. I used the damaged heatsink for the mean time and it was running around 45°c in game and around 30°c when idle.
A couple of days later I received the replacement heatsink, after installing the new heatsink it was running around the 30°c mark on idle and decided to run the Windows 7 performance test to check the difference on my upgrades, but the CPU test took my CPU temperature up to 105°c. I did panic but this only lasted a couple of seconds before it started testing my hard drive. I never tested the new heatsink before running the performance test so I don't know what the temperature would have been like not idle, but now even sitting on the menu page of a game takes my heatsink around 65-75°c. If I close all my applications and leave my computer on idle for a bit the temperature does go back down to 30°c but jumps back up to the 65°c+ again when starting up any games.
Any ideas what might be causing this? I am thinking of reseating my heatsink but I'm pretty certain I seated everything correctly and that everything is secure. I don't have any spare thermal paste so don't want to reseat the heatsink until I have some paste, I have ordered some Arctic Silver 5 which will arrive soon. Do you think the 105°c would have damaged my CPU, I am under warranty still but would prefer if the CPU wasn't damaged and I had simply done something stupid. I'm worried that the 105°c damaged the CPU hence the temperature is now so high running basic programs. The thermal paste used was already applied on the heatsink as a little square.

Sorry for the long essay, just didn't want to miss out any vital information.
April 16, 2013 2:52:09 AM

Did you try running the performance test before you overclocked? If not I would try resetting your cpu clock to default and run it, while checking the temps. If it's still hot I would say the issue lies with the thermal paste. I've never experienced anything like this though so I'm not sure.
April 16, 2013 3:52:22 AM

The CPU was supplied with the motherboard, heatsink and RAM, CPU was sold overclocked already. I didn't do a performance test with the first heatsink which was damaged which ran at around 45°c, only the 2nd (replacement) heatsink.
April 16, 2013 4:01:37 AM

Did you buy these components second hand?

As i said, try downclocking the cpu to the standard Ghz and see if it's still over the top hot.
Related resources
!