GTX 690 VS TITAN VS 680 4GB help me please '

dsgreek

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
Ok so I'm researching parts for a pc I'm hoping to build ( ps please check out motherboard crisis )
And I'm unsure on what to get . I definitely do not want to spend more than the piece of a Titan on : www.pccasegear.com.au
And I'm Aussie btw
So basically I'm confused as :/
Going to run it on a single 27 inch 1080P monitor.
Any ideas ?
Hoping to run Games on ultra at really nice frame rates.

Pc Specs ( Not final )

CPU : i7-3930K

MOBO: ASRock EXTREME6 X-79 Motherboard

GPU: ???

RAM ( MEMORY ) : GSKILL RIPJAWZ 32GB DDR3 MEMORY ( Im going to be doing lots of video editing and rendering and stuff )

HDD : SEAGATE BARRACUDE 4TB

SSD :( BOOT DRIVE ) 128GB SAMSUNG 840 SERIES SSD

CASE : OBSIDIAN 650D

PSU : ( SEE MY OTHER POST ON MOTHERBOARD PSU PROBLEM ( I DON'T KNOW WHAT TYPE OF PSU TO USE ( PLEASE TELL ME IF YOU KNOW THANKS :) )))

COOLING SYSTEM : CORSAIR H100i
Self - contained water cooling system

So yeah .
Please help. Thanks :)
Also this is my first attempt at build a pc from scratch so please give me some guidance
All stuff will be bought from : www.pccasegear.com.au

bluejayek

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
GTX titan is currently the reigning monarch of graphics cards. If you want to spend the money on it, it is the best single card you can get. As far as I know, two 680's in SLI will beat it in a number of situations however, and may be slightly cheaper.
I would still go with the titan however, as simpler is usually better, and if you are really that rich you can always upgrade it into an SLI setup with multiple titans in the future!
It also seems to me that either of those setups are cracking an egg with a sledgehammer at a resolution of 1080p. If you are building such a machine, get a 2560 x 1600 resolution monitor or something.

One comment on the build however. You say "Samsung 840 series SSD". I sincerely hope you mean "Samsung 840 PRO series SSD", as spending 1200$ on a graphics card and trying to save 40$ on the boot drive is just poor economics in my opinion. If I were building with this sort of budget, I would probbably also get at least a 256GB samsung 840 PRO so that there was more room for software on it (modern games can get large).

dsgreek

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
[strike][/strike]

Thanks man . Ill upgrade to. A 256 GB SSD and yeah it's the pro series don't worry .
At the moment I'm reading that a 690 is a good solution but 2 2GB 680's will be a bit cheaper. But if I spend and extra 200 dollars then I can sli 2 4GB 680's , which seems good. Your opinion ?

bluejayek

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
I would still go with the titan however, as simpler is usually better, and if you are really that rich you can always upgrade it into an SLI setup with multiple titans in the future!
It also seems to me that either of those setups are cracking an egg with a sledgehammer at a resolution of 1080p. If you are building such a machine, get a 2560 x 1600 resolution monitor or something.

(sorry, updated the post apparently after you read it :) )

dsgreek

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
Though I'm trying to stick to a budget of about . 3k . Maybe 3.4 absolutely maximum
So ill stick with a 128 GB SSD Samsung 840 series pro for my boot drive and use the 4TB for other stuff. I might go ahead and get a another 256 SSD For games though .

bluejayek

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
I'm not entirely sure how buying two SSD's instead of one is supposed to save money, but whatever floats your boat! 128GB will certainly be more then enough if all you want on there is your operating system.

Larger SSD's do tend to benchmark slightly faster then smaller ones, although in reality the difference between different high end SSD's is so small you will be hard pressed to detect it in normal use.

Good luck!

dsgreek

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013

I think I'll stick with a single 128GB SSD for a boot drive
But as for the GPU
Whats do you think ?
Still steer towards Titan on this setup ?
Single monitor 120hz min (27-30 inches)

bluejayek

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
I would get the titan if I were building this setup today.

I have not done enough research to offer any valuable opinions on monitor choice however, so I will leave that to others.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
If its just for gaming, I would change the CPU for a 3770k and get the GTX Titan. Easily the best GPU out there at the moment, by a long way. It competes with dual GPU cards.

Also think about changing the SSD for a 250Gb version, so you can fit more games on there and enjoy the fast loading times.

dsgreek

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013

If I were to change the CPU To a 3770K I would have to change to a z77 mobo where I would lose some of the benefits of a x79 platform . Where I might be able to use the rumored ivy-e processors . But if I am looking to save some cash I will probably downgrade the CPU to a i7-3820 ( still same mobo )

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Thats true, but you save a lot of money and the 3770k can safely be overclocked to give brilliant performance for games. I doubt you would be left wanting more, there is no game currently that the 3770k cannot run flawlessly.

bluejayek

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
I concur with RobCrezz that the CPU you selected is overkill for any gaming. However, I did not mention it before for two reasons.

1) You didn't ask :)

2) You mentioned heavy video editing which may benefit from a faster CPU.

Either way, downgrading the CPU slightly very likely won't hurt you very much.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Indeed.

Dont get me wrong, money no object I would have the 3930k, but for gaming 2x GTX Titans would be amazing!

ciaranmc2011

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012
lol your build is the nearly the same spec as the one i'm currently building ,cpu,cpu cooler and ssd my motherboard i went with gigabyte g1.assassin2 purely for the theme of my pc needs :lol: (green) for the psu i went OCZ 1000W ZX Series PSU 80+ Gold Rated Ultra Quiet Double Ball Bearing Fan and for hhd i'm just throwing in a few 1 tbs wd cavair blacks most likely and putting them in raid 10 but that a side, what i originally came for

every benchmark I have seen shows the 690 scales better than the titan even at higher resolutions can people please back up there statements?

dsgreek

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
Hmmm I'm going to trust the guys who know what they're talking about . Ill downgrade to a 3770K maybe 16gb of ram . I guess I might not need to do so much video editing .
Or even Better . I could downgrade to a 3820 ?
Opinions ?
If like to get the 3820 if anything because it has hyper threading and it's also cheaper than the 3770K
But as for running games do I get the same performance ?

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

The 690 is dual GPU, the Titan is single GPU.

I would get the 3770k and overclock it, its worth it just for the extra performance you get by overclocking.

dsgreek

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
Backing up my research , on pc case gear . The Titan and the gtx 690 are almost exactly the same .
Titan has more memory but the 690 is a dual core .
But I'm tossing between the two at the moment

dsgreek

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013

That's true . But should I go for Titan or 690
Remember it's only a single monitor setup. Id love to have the Titan becaus of more memory but the 690 Is getting a bit better fps's according to charts and forums.
Hmmm it's hard choice. Opinions on which ?

ciaranmc2011

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012

Look man even tho in gaming between the 3930k and 3770k you really wont see any real performance go with the setup you want you will never be happy with what other people suggest you will get what you want (even tho they are trying to help and save you some money) or you will regret it it is something i have learned and live by. personal preference mate either way you will have a beast rig :)

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

I would go Titan every time. For similar performance a single GPU setup will always be nicer.

Although its less of a problem these days, SLI/XFire isnt perfect (which includes dual GPU cards).

ciaranmc2011

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012

Yes but i don't recall him whats the best single gpu he asked whats the best and if it were down to me i'd just xfire 7970s

dsgreek

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013

Very true.
I've decided on a i7-3820 and the GPU I need a bit more speculation on it
Everything else I now know :)
Ps : the i7-3820 is cheaper than the 3770K
Plus it runs on the x79 mobo so I don't have to change it . Pretty good mobo apparently :)

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

+1

Its only opinions from us. You wont be disappointed with the 3930k if you decide to get it.

dsgreek

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013

I was looking into that but 1. Will my case fit them
2. It's cheaper but is it the bests solution ?
3. Would I need cooling for the GPU ?