CPU PLL Overvoltage and Fixed Frequency 3770K @ 4.4 1.240v

shizwack

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
First I will post this handy guide which was linked to me from my last post:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1291703/ivy-bridge-overclocking-guide-asus-motherboards

In this guide, I find all kinds of useful information for the noob overclocker I am.

My concern is the CPU PLL Overvoltage and Fixed Frequency. Where do these set numbers come from? The guide says to set CPU PLL to 1.70000 and Fixed Frequency to 350. Where would I get these numbers from? Why are they both set to the said numbers? Are these standard numbers?

A little help/explanation on this would help me out a lot! Thanks all!

ihog

Distinguished
Because the CPU PLL voltage tends to be higher than necessary, though I don't ever see any temp difference in lowering it.

And anybody can chime in and correct me, but I believe the "fixed frequency" is relative to how quickly voltage is given to the CPU.

shizwack

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
Thanks ihog! I know, you must be getting tired of me by now! ;)

So I can consider these numbers "useable" for my current settings at 4.4? If I increased v to run 4.5ghz, would the CPU PLL Overvoltage and Fixed Frequency remain the same?

ihog

Distinguished
The PLL may or may not, so for now, I wouldn't recommend lowering it from its stock setting. You'll want to keep the fixed frequency at 350, though.

And what you want to do with overclocking is to keep your voltage and raise your multiplier by one. Then, test for stability, and if it isn't, then you raise the voltage.

And don't worry about it buddy, you're easy to help.

shizwack

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
Right now, both are defaulted to Auto... Everything seems to run fine with them set to Auto, so should I still put the frequency to 350? I'm wondering if this will help anything or only potentially cause problems. As far as both of these settings go, I'm wondering what their default settings actually are when they are on Auto...

shizwack

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
Ok, will do. I have seen other threads which talked about having it as high as 500... I'll try 350 @ 4.5. Thanks.

hdeezie80

Honorable
Jul 18, 2012

Yeah your thinking about PWM which is how quickly power switches, PLL keeps all of the frequencies you set in sync. You don't need to alter any PLL settings to overclock with a multiplier. PLL overvoltage won't help either unless your going for a frequency over 4.8 leave it off either way all it really does IMO is cause voltage to spike. You can try to raise the PWM I usually double mine from default for really clean power draw it will raise your motherboards temps though so be sure to monitor those.