On-Board Graphics vs Video Card

rekning

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013
Hi

I'm trying to build a computer that can handle rendering and deal with architecture programs such as 3ds max and some gaming

When i built my computer just over a year ago i thought the parts i used would do the job (listed below) but it still seems abit slow, and i was wondering if its the lack of a graphics card that is the cause.

At the time i was under the impression the built in graphics would do the job as it says, Total Available Graphics Memory = 3067 MB which i believed to be good.

Mother board: Asus M5A78L-M/USB3
Cpu: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHz
Ram: Corsair 8GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Vengeance Memory x2
Hard drive: Western Digital 1TB Hard Drive - Caviar Blue

swilczak

Distinguished
The total available graphics memory on your onboard card is really the Ram from the system that's being shared with the onboard chip for graphics memory and it's not good. You will probably see a huge improvement if you were to get a graphics card, even an entry level one will be good like a NVidia gt 630 or a radeon 6670.

rekning

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013
I have a basic understanding of computers except graphics

It would be cheaper to buy an extra 16GB of ram to use as graphic memory but how would that perform vs something like Asus GeForce GT 610 Silent Nvidia Graphics Card (2GB)

and also how would the Asus GeForce GT 610 Silent Nvidia Graphics Card (2GB) perform vs Asus AMD Radeon HD 6670 Graphics Card (2GB)

swilczak

Distinguished
You should get either a 6670, or a NVidia gt 630. The gt 630 is much better than the gt 610 and they go for around the same price, maybe a 5 to 10 dollar difference. The 610 is made for home theatre PC's that need dedicated graphics for help with high def video play back. If you get 16gb of Ram it will make no difference in graphics performance.