Setting up my own NTP time server, and testing it with a client

robbo99

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
I have learned how to synchronise a windows 7 computer to a time server, like time.microsoft.com. But I want to connect it to a LAN time server, to test/prove that it can synchronise with one. But I don't know how to set up my own time server. Or perhaps that isn't necessary to test a computers ability to connect to a server.

I have a winows 2000 computer that would be preferable to use to test it with. How do I set it up as a time server?

Thanks for any help

Rob

Just click the "update now" button where it allows you to change time servers. It will throw an error if it fails to connect. You should also see an event in your event viewer if the computer isn't able to synchronize with a time server.

robbo99

Distinguished
May 27, 2011

I have no time server to connect to though.

I meed to make my own pretend time server for the windows 7 pc to connect to. but as far as I know by reading only, I could set up my own time server....but I dont know how

I meant to pick a time server from the list. They work fine. I beleive one is time.nist.gov or something like that.

Google NTP server if you are looking to run your own. Even then, your time server will still need to sync with a reliable source, so you may as well use a time server that is already defined in the list.

robbo99

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
in the end I just got softros NTS. Its a commercial app that give you one server application and multiple clients. You just install them in the necessary places and they will sync automatically. You don't have to set anything up. Thanks for the help