HELP - Virgin Media Super Hub and a Netgear N600 Router

Tags:
  • Routers
  • Connection
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
April 16, 2013 3:01:55 PM

Basically got a hub installed from VM.
I have this £100 odd router than can be for ADSL and Fiber.
Obviously i dont wanna sell/throw that router away so im trying to make it act as like a 'switch'
And ive done that so far.

So currently connection goes:
VM--> Hub-->(ethernet)--> £100 router--> PC(wired)

Now i had to change some shiz on the hub to be able to connect the router through LAN to LAN.
(I got the method below from post #8 on this link -
http://www.avforums.com/forums/virgi...placement.html )
I changed the HDCP or something like that to start from 192.168.0.101
On the £100 router, i turned the DHCP off and changed that routers IP address to 192.168.0.2
Now this enabled me to use the £100 router as switch/router. Therefore what im using now to connect my pc.
(The above link worked to be able to use the router as switch/router, which was my initial problem)
Now earlier in the day, i could connect on the wifi (2.4 and 5ghz) that the £100 router was broadcasting (iPhone 5, iPad 3 was used)
Now i cant for some reason. I was chilling on a 30.5Mbit/s earlier
All devices in this house can see the signal from the 2.4 and 5ghz but when u try and connect, it cant.
This bit is my problem.

The £100 odd router is a Netgear DGND3700v2.

More about : virgin media super hub netgear n600 router

April 16, 2013 3:02:05 PM

I got a friend to try and help me out.
He suggested to swap which hub/router HDCP was to be turned off.
This: (the suggested solution)
Super hub's HDCP to be turned off. (Was previously on)
Netgear DGND3700v2's HDCP to be turned on. (Was previously off)

Tried it, broke everything.
Wifi from the SH was broadcasting but couldn't connect.
No internet on my PC as apparently no network was available (connected through Ethernet)
April 16, 2013 4:11:04 PM

I am pretty sure your netgear has a ethernet wan port also.

If you prefer to use this router the best way is to change the super hub to a BRIDGE...ie it becomes only a modem not router. You will have to read the vendor manual to know how to do it.

At this point you should be able to plug a pc into the "modem" and get a real internet IP address. You need to reboot the modem anytime you change the device you plug into it.

You now should be able to configure your linksys as a normal router and run a cable between the modem and the WAN port on the router.

The first method you used other than the hub is common way to use a router as a AP. You may have had to use the hub because it wanted a crossover cable..but that is uncommon nowdays
Related resources
April 16, 2013 4:44:21 PM

Yes there is a 'Modem only mode' for the super hub and i have not tried that. But the problem with that method is that there are 4 lan ports, once modem only mode is enabled, the one closest to the coxial cable will be the only on active (which is meant to go to your router) and the other 3 lan ports will not function.
And i have to connect 2 computers wiredly downstairs (as my netgear router is upstairs)
April 16, 2013 5:27:53 PM

Then your first configuration should have worked it is the standard method to do this. This device also has a option to run it in AP mode. In that case you plug into the WAN port and click the box to make it AP. I suspect it disabled the DHCP and other features all on its own.

Your other option is to run both devices as routers. Plug the wan port into the cable box and let it give you address in the 192.168.0.x range, the assign your lan pool to something else like 192.168.100.x

It is a trade off running 2 Routers makes it tougher to map ports though if you need that but the netgear is a very advanced router and has many feature your virgin media box does not. When you run it with the DHCP turned off and only lan ports or in AP many of these router feature cannot be used.

As a after thought... can you run 2 cable between the rooms. You could run as a modem to the router and then run a cable back from the netgear and hook it to the hub you have
April 17, 2013 4:27:12 AM

I really want to run both as routers. So I can run the 2.4Ghz on the SuperHub and a 5Ghz on the netgear.
This is the picture of the back of my netgear, http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/Uploads2/Netgear/Netgea...
I have plugged an Ethernet cable lan port 1 on my superhub and directly plugged the other end of that cable to the lan port 1 of my netgear router.

Could you tell me what i would have to do, in steps so i can do the mentioned above, (as your earlier explanation wasn't clear enough for me) have two computers directly conneted through Ethernet cable coming from the super hub and on the netgear, one computer connected through Ethernet cable too and also, a lot of wireless devices.
April 17, 2013 5:16:55 AM

Your cabling for this router will be from the superhub thing to GREY port on the router (this is a WAN port). Now if you want to run this as a AP go into the settings in the netgear and set it to run as a AP and you are done. To run it as a router you need to make sure the LAN address you assign in the netgear is not in the same subnet as the superhub is using for its network.
April 17, 2013 5:36:00 AM

lan address meaning the IP address?
because ive changed that, the hub is 192.168.0.1 and the netgear router is 192.168.0.2

do i need to changed things on the DHCP settings on either netgear or hub?

btw, the netgear can only be a 'modem+router' or 'modem only' so there's no access point(AP) only.
April 17, 2013 6:06:39 AM

The manual say it supports AP mode on page 94 but they do not show the screen. I know on other netgear routers similar to this I have used it is just a click box on the advanced screen.

April 17, 2013 6:13:56 AM

I wast just telling you that I couldn't turn it into an AP.

So is what I did correct, put ip address on hub as .0.1 and netgear as .0.2?
How about the DHCP? Do I turn something on off?
Because at the moment, I have DHCP turned on on the hub and its DHCP ip address is set to start from 192.168.0.101. and HAVE turned the DHCP off on the netgear router.

The site I got info from and why I turn DHCP off on hub: POST #8: http://www.avforums.com/forums/virgin-media-broadband/1...
April 17, 2013 7:10:39 AM

I really don't know what you are trying to accomplish now. The instruction you are trying to follow are how to turn a generic router into a AP. You said you tried that and it did not work correctly. The method you followed should work. Why it does not I can't say...the key is MOST routers you can use this trick but there are some that you cannot. I know many people use the netgear as AP like you have done so I have no clue why it would not work.

So I just proposed if you want to run as a AP you use the feature in your router. Unlike most routers yours has that feature without having to mess with turning off DHCP it just does it for you. It is only a guess and I felt it was simpler to setup but will it fix your issue who knows.

April 17, 2013 7:34:07 AM

The one and only problem that im really having is that I cant connect to my netgear router.
I could yesterday, when I first set it up, the netgear connected to the hub through etherner cable.
March 10, 2015 7:01:50 AM

bill001g said:
I really don't know what you are trying to accomplish now. The instruction you are trying to follow are how to turn a generic router into a AP. You said you tried that and it did not work correctly. The method you followed should work. Why it does not I can't say...the key is MOST routers you can use this trick but there are some that you cannot. I know many people use the netgear as AP like you have done so I have no clue why it would not work.

So I just proposed if you want to run as a AP you use the feature in your router. Unlike most routers yours has that feature without having to mess with turning off DHCP it just does it for you. It is only a guess and I felt it was simpler to setup but will it fix your issue who knows.

I have superhub 2 1st router and 2nd router which is netgear n300 (wnr2200) i think it has AP feature but im thinking do i just have to activate and thats it or what needs changing so it can extend the wireless signal. its LAN to WAN at the moment, so 2 separate networks which i have to connect everytime im closer.