Verizon Confirms 12-Month No Contract Smartphone Payments

Status
Not open for further replies.

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
It's just another contract. What these carriers really need are better prices. I was paying AT&T about $100 a month for a 3 year old iPhone 3GS. Switched to Straight Talk while still using the iPhone and now pay $45 a month. I bought a Nexus 4 at the beginning of the year and still loving it. I've done the math and over a 2 year contract, I will save $900+ compared to AT&T.

Paul S1

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
I switched to T-Mobile as soon as their no-contract model was released, and my monthly service is now cheaper than than it was before, which included a corporate discount. The service has been excellent, and I am very happy with my new Z10 and T-Mobile. This is exactly what I have been waiting for.

Paul S1

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
And for the other carriers, still ripping you off on the monthly service or limiting the devices defeats the whole purpose of this model.

bentonsl_2010

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
So unlike t-mobile you don't get to save money each month when you by your phone outright(Unsubsidized). You still have to pay retard amounts of money (The Subsidized amount) as well as a monthly "Phone Bill" Bill..........LMAO How many morons will fall for this and think they are saving.......... Sad world we live in.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

It's that "10x better service" that caused me to switch to T-Mobile. With Verizon I had constant problems over the last few years... Hell, my last "cellphone" could barely function as a phone. So far, with T-Mobile, I've had no issues.

One can not bring their old phone and get only a service contract. With any GSM network, one can bring their phone, get a SIM card, put it in and you have a registered phone. That's why their offer still includes the monthly phone bill, after paying the price for the phone. It's the same money, just laid out a bit different.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
so.. no plan discounts, no phone discounts... you pay more but get a 12 month contract instead of a 2 year and are charged a monthly fee for the privilage... that sounds like a pretty terrible deal to me, the big 3 are just not doing it right. I will be swapping to T-mobile from sprint as soon as my contract is up tired of paying thier $10 a month "premium data charge" for the slowest connection of any carrier in town

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
Still doesn't make sense! You are forced into spending at least $100/mth for the cost of the service while being capped at 2GB also while paying for a smartphone outright. Granted Verizon's service is better than the rest IMO BUT where I live ATT is pretty good. As others have mentioned, you can buy a phone outright and pay $45/mth for "unlimited" everything with Straight Talk. Matter of fact my contract with Verizon is up in 2.5 weeks, I have already purchased the Nexus 4 and plan on getting Straight Talk as a service. I have paid Verizon $158/mth for two smartphones (still grandfathered into unlimited data, unlimited text and 700 minutes of talk-time a month). I will recoup the cost of my Nexus 4 phone in about 6 months and be saving a little of $50 a month if paying by month with Straight Talk OR save much more by prepaying for the year. In the end, I will be saving almost $2000 in 2 years by switching - this move is a no-brainer.

Status
Not open for further replies.