System Temperature Dilemma

Is the i7 system too hot?

• Yes, the new system with i7 is too hot

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, the new system with the i7 is just fine.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The i7 system is hot, but the performance increase is worth it.

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Rafterman414

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
Hi everyone. I put this in systems and not the GPU section since I am concerned with the system temps as a whole, however feel free to move this thread if I posted in the wrong section. And the thread is long so thanks in advance for reading!

I have an Inspiron 17R SE with an i5-3230m, and GT 650m GPU. My dilemma is that due to a promotion I was able to order a 17R SE with an i7-3630QM, and 32 GB mSATA SSD Cache for the same price, everything else is the same except for the addition of the mSATA SSD and the i7, however there is a difference of 10 Degrees Celsius when the GPU and CPU are running at load, my system with the i7 runs about 10 degrees hotter then my i5 version, is this because the i7 puts off much more heat then the i5? Also the screen on my i7 version is much clearer. Here are some specifics, first I will list the i5 system , then the i7.

To gather these temps I used Unigine Valley and Open Hardware Monitor, with GPU Core @ 835 MHz Memory @ 2000 MHz, no throttling occurs since I locked it in with Nvidia Inspector, driver versions are 311.00

17R SE W/i5-3230M
GPU Idle @ 50 Degrees Celsius
GPU Load @ 70 Degrees Celsius
GPU Minimum @ 43 Degrees Celsius
CPU Idle @ 51 Degrees Celsius
CPU Load @ 71 Degrees Celsius
Maximum CPU Utilization 78.6%

17R SE W/i7-3630QM
GPU Idle @ 55 Degrees Celsius
GPU Load @ 80 Degrees Celsius
GPU Minimum @ 44 Degrees Celsius
CPU Idle @ 55 Degrees Celsius
CPU Load @ 81 Degrees Celsius
Maximum CPU Utilization 50%

Should I keep the i5 version and return the i7 one or am I just being paranoid, is this all because of the i7 running hotter then the i5? Which would make perfect sense, I have always just been paranoid over my temperatures. Thanks and your input is greatly appreciated. I included a poll so for all you lurkers out there feel free to give your opinion without having to post.

Rafterman414

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
One more thing that I noticed after last night; I did not realize that I was running one BIOS revision behind on the new i7 system so I upgraded it to the newest one, A13. I noticed that after doing so the max GPU temps stayed the same but the idle temps for both the GPU and the CPU dropped by about 3 Degrees. I looked and saw that the GPU and CPU can handle temps up to 105 degrees so I guess I am just being paranoid and all will be well. If no one else has any input on the matter I guess I will just mark this thread solved in a few hours.