Windows 8 Installation hangs at blue screen.

thejon1337

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013
Hello everyone, I have an annoying problem I can't seem to fix.

I bought a Lenovo Y580 6 months ago, and I love it. Problem is, I can't seem to install windows 8 anymore. I've done 2 clean windows 8 installs on it before, but suddenly it refuses to do it again.

The problem is, no matter what install method I try, it leaves me hanging at the blue windows 8 logo. I've tried a clean boot install (boot off disc/usb to install it), I've tried installing from Windows 7 (same issue after restarted), and I've tried tons of BIOS configuration options.

I've done many things:

- checked to make sure it's not my disc drive (by using an external disc drive, and a usb. still had issues)
- checked to make sure it's not my disc (burned several copies and tried many different flash drives)
- checked to make sure it's not my hard drive (scan with seatools showed it's fine)

I've read other posts here, but none of the solutions in them have worked. 4 months ago I did a clean install and it worked. Nothing hardware based has changed, and now it won't. I can install Windows 7, any flavor of linux, everything except for Windows 8 will install just fine.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

thejon1337

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013
Yeah, I clean wiped all the partitions, from a windows 7 recovery disk, from a Linux recovery disk, and even ran disk check tools in linux to make sure it's not a problem with my disk.

I can't update the BIOS, there is no update for it yet. I've almost given up....
Something that may help, I was able to install windows 8 about a week ago, but out of my stupidity I clean wiped over it again, to try to replicate it. No more windows 8 ):

thejon1337

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013
I'm not sure I can flash the bios again, there is no link for the bios on the lenovo drivers site, only the windows 7 bios. I tried downloading it, but as expected, it said I didn't have compatible hardware. I'll look at that guide soon and let you know.

I've been looking around, and I know I'm not the only one with this problem. At least windows 7 is pretty nice to use in the meantime.