8350 Running hot with an Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 AM3+

Kevin Niedenfuer

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013
I recently "upgraded" my gaming rig with an Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 AM3+ AND AN amd 8350. I have an Antec 620 H2O cooler on it.

The Heat spreader above the North bridge (I think) gets really hot, and the one below it by the GPU also gets really warm. I have it at stock settings, and no overclocking. As it sits right now my temps are 49-50C Idle, and yes the cooler is mounted correctly.

I have an EVGA supernova 650G PSU in it with 8gb of PNY optima 1333mhz Ram(2x4gb)

Any Ideas?

the one to the left of the cpu socket and closest to the I/O panel is the vrm heatsink it cools the vrms for the cpu, which delivers its power. the one above the first pci-e slot is the 990fx chipset northbridge, and smaller one by the sata ports is the southbridge. Most likely the heatsink is warm due to the electricity going thru the vrms, my bro in laws sabertooth does this and the board runs fine, but hard to tell how it effects the cpus temp as hes using the stock cooler. My guess is that the heatsink isnt making great contact with the vrms and is producing too much heat and is not being dissipated

Edit: some ppl said with their water coolers and lack of cpu fan, there was not enough air flow hitting the heatsink

Motherboards are designed with stock coolers in mind, so they take advantage of the downward airflow they provide to cool the VRM heatsinks. When you water-cool, you remove the airflow over this area of the motherboard, so obviously they will run hotter than before.

What some water-coolers (including myself) have done is just zip tie in a fan that blows air at the CPU socket. I used an old 80mm AMD stock cooler fan I had laying around (to cool my Intel board :D).
Dont need anything professional, just need to get that airflow over the CPU socket.