First Decent Gaming Desktop?

couchpotato

Honorable
Apr 17, 2013
This will be a long post, prepare yourself...

This is going to the first computer I will be building and I need some guides on choosing the best parts. I figure I should build a new pc since my older computer(11yrs now) is having a hard time playing newer games and even video streaming.

Other than gaming I want a computer that will be able to let me stream a lot of videos as well as movies.(Can't even watch youtube in 720p without lag) Be able to download a lot of things at once, and be able to let me tab a lot of pages which I find myself doing a lot of times for some reason. (it does lag my computer slowly and works my cpu to death)
I'm on a small budget but I'm hoping to play battle field 3 on medium at the least by the time this comp is built.
I've chosen 2 graphics cards so far.

Radeon HD 6670 1GB ddr3 and MSI Nvidia GTX 460 ddr5
I was thinking about 6670 at first but I've been hearing it will not be able to run on medium.
460 isn't too much more and I've heard a lot of good things but I don't want to spend more money than I need to if I can work with the 6670.

As for ram I'm looking into either

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (ot sure if makes a difference 9-9-9 timing)

or

CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (9-9-9-24 timing)

They're both 2 sticks of 8gb each, the motherboard I'm picking up handles up to 16 so I plan on filling up both slots. Right now I have no clue if 16 is too much for what I use it for...(Gaming, video streaming, downloads) or maybe it's too little?

I heard that windows 7 32bit os limits memory to 3.6gb so I'll most likely pick up the professional 64bit version.

for processor...

Intel Core i5-3350P Ivy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.3GHz Turbo)
(not sure specifically which intel processor I want but
heard that i5 quad core and ivy bridge is good for gaming)

Then I hear about the i5 25000k I don't know which one I really need though.

Any suggestions will be appreciated, thanks and sorry for the long post.

GMPoisoN

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013
If you want to do mainly gaming the i5 3570k is the CPU for you. Also for gaming you don't need more than 8 GB, if you're going to be doing video editing, etc... 16 GB isn't a bad idea. Also if you want to play the latest games on decent settings and run smoothly, you need to put as much money towards your GPU as possible, as it is arguably the most important piece in a gaming build. If there is any possible way to squeeze out any money for your GPU, I would go for something near the GTX 660 TI, or the Radeon 7870, you will be glad you did so. If you have any more questions let me know!

couchpotato

Honorable
Apr 17, 2013
I'm not trying to spend too much on a cpu, what other cpu might I be able to get away with and play battle field on medium as well as fast downloads and less lag with more programs running? I think the i5 2500k and 3570k and overkill for what I'm going to be using it for.

GMPoisoN

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013

That would work too, I'm just a fan of Intel :p

GMPoisoN

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013

That would do fine as well, that one you can't overclock easily.

GMPoisoN

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013

Not a bad idea.

couchpotato

Honorable
Apr 17, 2013
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
I ended up getting the gtx 460 since it was at a decent price.
Also went with the i5-2400 as well. I wanted to do some ocing with the kseries but it was a decent price second hand.
And also got the Corsair power 400w.
I just need some ram and pick up artic silver ceramique 2.
I might end up going with 2x4g g skill
Let me know if there's anything else worth getting besides water cooling and mobo.

GMPoisoN

Honorable
Mar 13, 2013

A case with good airflow and room for cable management.