Sign in with
Your question

My Computer Shuts Off or Gets Different Color Screen With Vertical Lines When Gaming

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 17, 2013 4:40:23 AM

First off i am a newbie around here, I have been poking around for awhile but I haven't found the specific solution to this problem so here we go.

A while back i bought a new Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7850 1Gb.
I quickly got a problem with the computer randomly shutting off while i was testing the card on high settings (ran smooth until it shut off) this was a complete black screen, computer reboot kind of shut down.
So i figured out I needed to replace my Power, so i exchanged the one i had with a 850W one.
Now my problem appears a few minutes into a game when i suddenly get a colored screen with vertical lines and need to reboot the computer by holding the power button for a few seconds, computer boots up fine afterwards.
I stresstested the computer and the first one went fine, the second one i did right after worked fine until 3-4 minutes in when i got the colored screen with vertical lines again.

I'm thinking this is my computer telling me it's overheating, so I am considering buy a Corsair H70 Cooler + 2x SP120 Quiet Edt . Do you think this would help with my problem?

Please ask me questions, or tell me to try out different stuff as I have tried a lot of different programs and already have a few of them downloaded and ready to go. I just want to know what I am buying this time will help with my problem.

SPECS:
DMI Processor
manufacturer AMD
model AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 245 Processor
DMI Baseboard
vendor ASUSTeK Computer INC.
model M4A77TD PRO
DMI BIOS
vendor American Megatrends Inc.
version 0904
Display adapter 0
Name AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series
Memory size 1024 MB
DirectX Version 11.0
Memory Type DDR3
Memory Size 12288 MBytes
a b 4 Gaming
April 17, 2013 7:33:23 AM

try swapping out video cards to see if that clears it up. I was having a similar issue that turned out to be a GPU overheating.

good luck!
April 17, 2013 11:12:23 AM

seller417 said:
try swapping out video cards to see if that clears it up. I was having a similar issue that turned out to be a GPU overheating.

good luck!

Thank you for your answer, but I didn't have any problem with my previous card (which was pretty standard and also why i got the 7850)

April 18, 2013 4:52:31 AM

Update: I tried to underclock my Core Clock & Memory Clock, ran Painkiller on High Settings, ran fine for 30 minutes, GPU Temp was steady at around 50-55 then my computer shut off again and restarted. No GSOD this time just a complete reboot. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Also bluescreenviewer gave me these two:

Caused by driver: Ntfs.sys
Caused by driver: ntoskrnl.exe
Related resources
!