Best 2013 Case for cooling and noise reduction

Alright guys and gals!

This is my first time posting on Tom's Hardware. I've exhausted myself searching the web for the best full tower (and occasionally mid tower) cases for air cooling. I'm not entirely convinced on water cooling just yet, though it looks rather cool.

This will be my first gaming PC build. I've recently ditched console gaming altogether as the power of the PC combined with the accessibility of STEAM has made me a true believer. I HAVE BEEN BAPTIZED IN THE WATERS OF TRUTH, FELLOW PC GAMERS!

Anyways, here are the components for my build. I just bought them on Amazon...so no going back now!

CPU: Intel i5 3570K
MOBO: ASrock Z77 Extreme6 (only b/c of size issues I heard of w/ the extreme 4)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz
SSD: Samsung 840 Series 250 GB
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master V8

I already own a GTX 580 (which I'll be upgrading toward the end of the year), a 750W PSU, and a 1TB Seagate HDD that I'll be transferring into my new case as well.

The cases I've been considering so far...

CM Storm Trooper:
http://www.amazon.com/CM-Storm-Trooper-Computer-SGC-5000-KKN1/dp/B005P7XSV6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366232264&sr=8-1&keywords=CM+Storm+Trooper

Rosewill THOR V2:
http://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Gaming-Computer-THOR-V2/dp/B0058P5S9A/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1366232324&sr=1-1&keywords=Rosewill+THOR+V2

Corsair 650D:
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Obsidian-Black-Computer-CC650DW-1/dp/B004UE1W9K/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1366232345&sr=1-1&keywords=Corsair+650D

Corsair 800D:
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Obsidian-Black-Computer-CC800DW/dp/B002JLAU58/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1366232366&sr=1-1&keywords=Corsair+800D

But I'm totally open to suggestions...

Oh, and one last thing...I might consider going two-way SLI in the near future.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated guys!
6 answers Last reply
More about 2013 case cooling noise reduction
  1. If you have been looking at the CM Storm Trooper, you should look at the Storm Stryker. That case I believe cost and looks the same, except its white rather than black. Beautiful case, I don't know if it's the best for noise reductions, since it was built with LAN gamer's in mind, but I know it's excellent for cooling!
  2. GMPoisoN said:
    If you have been looking at the CM Storm Trooper, you should look at the Storm Stryker. That case I believe cost and looks the same, except its white rather than black. Beautiful case, I don't know if it's the best for noise reductions, since it was built with LAN gamer's in mind, but I know it's excellent for cooling!

Yes, I did consider the Storm Stryker. My only concern though is the color as this rig will be sitting in my living room next to my entertainment center. White (although it looks awesome) would be a little too jarring in my living room. I should have mentioned that part to begin, sorry. So basically, I'm looking for something black, simple, and clean with great cooling, cable management, and tooless trays for under $200. I just finished researching the NZXT Switch 810 and although I think it's designed beautifully, I read that the quality is questionable considering the price. I'm also fond of the Corsair Obsidian series, but those are a bit pricey. Any recommendations based off these two cases?
  3. texanite86 said:
    GMPoisoN said:
    If you have been looking at the CM Storm Trooper, you should look at the Storm Stryker. That case I believe cost and looks the same, except its white rather than black. Beautiful case, I don't know if it's the best for noise reductions, since it was built with LAN gamer's in mind, but I know it's excellent for cooling!

Yes, I did consider the Storm Stryker. My only concern though is the color as this rig will be sitting in my living room next to my entertainment center. White (although it looks awesome) would be a little too jarring in my living room. I should have mentioned that part to begin, sorry. So basically, I'm looking for something black, simple, and clean with great cooling, cable management, and tooless trays for under $200. I just finished researching the NZXT Switch 810 and although I think it's designed beautifully, I read that the quality is questionable considering the price. I'm also fond of the Corsair Obsidian series, but those are a bit pricey. Any recommendations based off these two cases?

Obviously the Corsair Obsidian series will be the best, though they are expensive. If you like the style of the Stryker I would go with the Trooper, same thing just in black, great case.

If you have the boat load of money to dump on a case, go with one of the Obsidian cases, if not I would personally choose the Trooper :D
  4. Awesome, thanks for the advice! I'm leaning toward the Corsair just because they look so freakin' slick! Should I go with the 650D or 800D with the components I had listed previously? Keep in mind I might go two-way SLI near the end of the year so I want a case that'll handle that without heat issues.
  5. texanite86 said:
    Awesome, thanks for the advice! I'm leaning toward the Corsair just because they look so freakin' slick! Should I go with the 650D or 800D with the components I had listed previously? Keep in mind I might go two-way SLI near the end of the year so I want a case that'll handle that without heat issues.

If you plan on adding more GPUs in the future, the 800D would be the better option!
  6. Hey guys just wanted your opinions on the Cool Master HAF 932 and the Thermaltake MK-1? which is better for cooling?
Ask a new question

Read More

Gaming Cooling Cases Build Components