What is a good fan profile on msi afterburner

zworrub

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013

Does changing fan setting ruin it in anway Im new at the whole thing and my GPU went up to 77c and was only using 35% of the fan

zworrub

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013

Alright cheers But I thought 77 degrees was like way to much. Like I said new at this :D

zworrub

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013

Okay thanks really appreciate the help :D

sylas

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
One review for your card show them hitting 65C max, so yours is a little high. The easiest and most cost effective thing you can do is make sure you have good airflow through the case. Simply doing good cable management can make a big difference. Once that is done, make sure all heatsinks are dust free by shooting it with air, either in a can or compressor. Once you know that there is good airflow, you might want to see what voltages are actually being pushed through that thing and compare to others. [strike]See if there are bios updates just in case there is an anomaly with voltages or fan speeds, but make sure you know what you're doing with bios stuff. You could completely brick your card if you dont. Bios updates are pretty rare though. If all that comes out good, then you might want to consider re-applying the T[/strike] If you're new to all of this, then learn quickly through forums and articles how to cool a card. I have an Nvidia gtx670 and I was hitting 82C playing Crysis 3, not overclocking and during the month of January where my room was cold. I went to a forum and the guys there were like "oh don't worry, that card has a max of 105C" Well that didn't make sense to me because others were getting way less temps with one fan...I have an MSI Twin Frozr IV design with 2 fans. Part of my issue was the TIM. I re-applied with Shin Etso and it immediately dropped 10C so I was hitting 72C with Crysis 3, but that still gave a problem because my card starts to throttle at 70C. So the fan profile IS NECESSARY if I don't want my card to slow down. I'm not even overclocking and now my card slows down???!!! So I did a fan profile and all is good with the world. It stays below throttle temp but it does get loud at times. The general "design" of my fan profile is matching the percent of the fan with the temp of the card, starting at 50C. Basically you can start any way you want..leave fan at 30% or so until it hits 48C, but then card hits 50C ..fan is 50% and right up the line until around 68% everything levels off. Occasionally it will touch 70C but that's rare. So fan running 70% ,card never goes beyond 70C...Even in the harshest of benchmarks. Of course you may have entirely different results being AMD. Read up on Bios updates and Thermal Interface Material if fan profile does not provide you with satisfactory cooling.

zworrub

Honorable
Apr 9, 2013

Contacted asus and they said anything below 95c is fine and said 77c Is defiantly okay to run but I have started using msi for games that a more demanding and it stays about 64c and I am getting some wire ties to sort out my cables thanks for the reply

sylas

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009

That's really good news man, but let me explain something about tech support. I went to my video card manufacturer forums ..MSI, and those were the guys telling me that I was alright with my temps at 82C. You see, that statement is true...82C ..77C ..will not KILL the GPU, but it's not ideal either. It's kind of like the amount of Rat poop that the FDA allows in our Cereal and Bread and stuff. Sure it wont kill us to consume X amount of Rat droppings in a hefty bowl of Captain Crunch, but would anybody consider it healthy either? And wouldn't you pick the brand with the least amount of poop? well that went way out to left field, but that's good you got squared away on that.