What has a bigger (or more viable) job market: Computer Security or Computer Software?

elemein

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
Hello tom'sHardware forum. I am currently a highschool student wanting to pursue a job in computers. I will try to make this post as simple as and quick as possible.

Long story short: The three areas of computers I am potentially interested in is Hardware, Software, and Security.

Hardware I am most passionate about, but they require very prestigious degrees and high grades and such to do this. To a level where I simply cannot do this. As far as my computer knowledge goes; hardware is my biggest "stength."

Security I am second most passionate about. I don't know a lot about it, but I like it a lot. I've done some educational hacking on my old laptop just to have those "Wow; they're really that weak?!" moments. I like security quite a bit and would love to learn about it; but I am scared that the job market for wireless networking or computer security is very slim. There are not many programs in college/uni for this, however, I do have a degree program at Sheridan College (second best school for technology in Canada) as a possibility for me for Security. I feel this is a viable option for me; but the scarcity of programs and jobs (not sure about jobs) intimidates me.

Software I am least passionate about, yet there are tens of programs near me for this as well as a constantly expanding job market. It's not that I don't "like" programming, as I do enjoy it (not as much as working with hardware or security/networks), but I find it tedious a lot. I find it amazing what software can do and I feel that a job in software has very high job security as spots are constantly opening up.

So I simply am asking; what would be a more viable option from the perspective of someone more knowledgeable than me? Security, or Software?

kemaleksici

Reputable
Nov 2, 2014
You should read the articles ;
http://www.access2knowledge.org/jobs-education/how-much-do-computer-engineers-make/
http://computerengineersalary.co/