what is good gaming graphics card for my optiplex 740

How much money you have for this? What are you planning to play? what processor you have, memory as well? OS? Are you willing to upgrade CPU and RAM? And finally, can you open side panel and measure distance between back panel and processor heatsink - to find card which actually fits, this is very important, I know Optiplex 745, however 740 has different heatsink!
Answer those questions, including measurement and you will have answers!

Mrkeyed

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013

ok i have AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+ 2.40 GHz
ram i have 3.00 and i just trying play like skyrim and call of duty older games and proble be payin for $150 some where around there tell me if i need any upgrades

It would be nice if you could measure the distance between processor heatsink (processor cooler) and back panel, otherwise I have to follow Optiplex 745 measurements, however it is looks like you have a bit more room, for now you are in between GTX 550TI and AMD 7770 at most, judging by money, however, I missed one more thing, what is your form factor, is it mini tower, small firm factor, desktop or ultra small form factor? I will try to find pictures? And what is your power supply wattage?

This is Optiplex 740 product line, which one is yours?

optiplex740productline.jpg

Also, remember I asked if you can measure your distance between CPU heatsink and back case panel? I still need this measurement in inches or metric system, doesn't matter much (I prefer metric system, with millimeters)
This is Optiplex 755 with the measurement I need to see which card can fit into Optiplex 740. Once again this picture below is just an example to show you what measurement I need.

05optiplex745singlebrac.jpg

So, first choose your Optiplex model from the first picture, second, please measure the distance, it is very important to help in choosing correct model of your video card, and lastly, do you know how strong is your power supply, if you don't not a big deal as long as you identify your Optiplex form factor.