Nvidia Quadro K4000 not showing in device manager

Lowey

Honorable
Apr 18, 2013
Hi all

I have just finished building my new pc with win 7 pro install (my first build). The device manager fails to show the Nvidia Quadro K4000 graphics card?

I installed all drivers for the board/chipset etc. and then a reboot then i installed the drivers for the Nvidia and then a reboot but on start up the screen stays black so i had to boot from last best configuration and tried again installing all drivers but the same happened again. Could it be the onboard graphics conflicting with the Nvidia?

PC spec as follows:

Asus P8Z77-V LX2
Core i7 3770k overclocked to 4.4ghz
PNY Nvidia Quadro K4000 3gb
patriot viper red v3 (32gb)
Cooler master Nvidia limited edit case
Samsung 120gB SSD
2tb Seagate Sata drive
Corsair HX1050 PSU

Any help would be most appreciative

Thanks

Rob

Don't...

Bump posts

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/283384-33-read-first

Lowey,

That's a mystery. In December, I changed the GTX 285 in a Dell Precision T5400 for a Quadro FX 4800 and Windows 7 Ultimate installed the latest driver before I could stop it- a kind of aggressive auto-installation !

I think it's semi-unlikely that there is a conflict between the integrated graphics and the K4000. But certainly you might try it as a first thing. I recently upgraded an AMD machine using the awfully awful integrated GeForce 7025 with a GT 240 and perhaps because it's integral to the CPU and not the motherboard, there was not even an option in the BIOS to disable the 7025. The only onboard device I've ever disabled has been onboard sound (which is located on the motherboard) as I always use a dedicated sound card. BTW, that one change, adding the GT 240 card, changed the Passmark system rating from 362 to 1394!

Given that propensity, my primary idea is that, the K4000 is so new a graphics card that your copy of Windows 7's doesn't know about it.

An idea for a sequence of the likely, the possible, and the semi-silly >

1> The K4000 should be mounted in the blue x16 PCIe slot closer to the CPU, and not the black slot which is a x16 length but wired x4.
2> Verify the PSU outputs and solidity of all PSU to motherboard power connections
3> Update the BIOS from the ASUS site to the latest version.
4> Reinstallation >
_A> Download and place the latest Quadro driver set from the NVIDIA site in a convenient location
_B> Go to Control Panel > Devices and Printers > Add a Device, and try to get that application to find and recognize the K4000
_C> Direct Add a Device (instead of searching for the drivers) to the driver set folder and install drivers
5> If there is still no video, try a different connection to your monitor- if you've been trying DVI, try each of the Displayport. With the GTX 285 which has 2X DVI, for a single monitor, there was no output until I changed the connection to the DVI port closest to the system motherboard,
6> If there is still a problem, try the K4000 in a different computer.
7> Consider the possibility that the K4000 is a non-starter -DOA.
8> This idea is not based on anything except eliminating an outside possibility and that is to > reset the CPU overclocking parameters to the original. Again, that's long odds, but having been around workstation hardware awhile it seems in degree to base reliability (stability) on not being pushed.

I hope I'm not stating ideas obvious to you or that you've already tried, but that's about the extent of my ideas / knowledge.

As mentioned, I suspect it has to do with the K4000 being so new- and is either somehow not accommodated in the BIOS and/or is also unknown to Windows- it can't detect something it has never heard of. Just a thought.

In my view, your build shows a very intelligent set of choices- it should really fly!

Let us know how you get on with it.

Cheers,

BambiBoom

[Dell Precision T5400 > 2X Xeon X5460 , 16GB DDR2 667 ECC, Quadro FX 4800, M-Audio 2496 (soundcard) ,WD RE4 500GB / Segt Brcda 500GB, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 > AutoCad, Revit, Sketchup, Solidworks, CS4, Corel Technical Designer, WP Office, Ms Office]

Lowey

Honorable
Apr 18, 2013
Hi BambiBoom many thanks for your reply and suggestions.

A quick update, still no joy with getting the Nvidia card working. However i did take the card out and put it in to my old machine which supports pci x16 (running win XP 32bit) and it recognised the card straight away and then installed the drivers fine with no problems what so ever. I then took my old ATI Radeon Sapphire card and put it in my new pc and that was also recognised straight away, unfortunately i couldnt install any drivers as i couldnt find any to download but it shows that both Nvidia card and Asus board are working fine.

I shall follow what you suggested later and see if that solves the mystery?!.

I havent installed any windows updates since installing win 7 as i cant get my wireless netgear usb to connect to my network (another story - im going to hardwire it later today) could this possibly be contributing to the problem?

Thanks again

Rob

Rob,

Sorry you're still having the troubles.

Still, it is encouraging that the K4000 and the motherboard / system are verified to be operating and that leads me to back to the idea of the K4000 being too new for automatic device recognition- Plug and Play. As the next step, I would suggest trying No.4 of the earlier list>

4> Reinstallation >
_A> Download and place the latest Quadro driver set (with 3D Vision I think it's about 190MB) from the NVIDIA site to a folder on a flash or portable drive, or of course, you can make a CD-R on your working, net connected system.
______I> By the way, I find it a bit obfuscated, but the 3D Vision and associated files is for stereo 3D and not a kind of accelerated 3D modeling. As I don't have a 3D capable screen, I deselect those features.
_B> Go to Control Panel > Devices and Printers > Add a Device, and try to get that application to find and recognize the K4000. If CP does not find the K4000, there is a provision to "select the device from a list"
_C> Direct Add a Device (instead of searching for the drivers) to the driver set folder and install drivers.

In case there 's a possibility your BIOS has been updated since your motherboard was made, you might want to check and update that first, using the portable drive or CD-R to transfer. I'm surprised how often I read on this forum and user comments on Newegg of completely new builds that had some glitch due to an obsolete BIOS.

If I might ask, what applications will you be using on the new system?

I've been watching the quickly growing list** of benchmark results for the K4000 on Passmark and it appears to be a really excellent card- a really great balance between 2D and 3D scores in particular. I don't have a way to analyze it specifically, but it seems to me that systems with a K4000 seem to have slightly higher CPU scores for the same processor as if the GPU cores are relieving the CPU of some of the work. **I don't know the figures, but NVIDIA and friends must be selling a pile of those.

Cheers,

BambiBoom

Lowey

Honorable
Apr 18, 2013
Hi BambiBoom, thanks again for your help its much appreciated. I will definitely try what you have suggested this eveninig and let you know the out come.

My monitors dont have 3d capability so i will omit those features for now. I bought the board, processor and memory as a bundle which i was informed had latest bios but like you say its definitely with a check.

I will be using a number of applications primarily for 3d modeling and rendering, Bentley Structural, AutoCAD, 3ds max and Solidworks. I have a next engine 3d scanner which i intend to use more frequently so i will be carrying out a fair amount of point cloud manipulation. My aim is to source a Tesla card for this machine, when they come down in price that is.

Thanks

Rob

Lowey

Honorable
Apr 18, 2013
Hi BambiBoom, i tried what you suggested but the search couldnt find the Nvidia card it just sat looking for devices, however there is good news, well sort of. I got the Nvidia card working, well kind of?! I think it was installed the very first time round but because i launched from last best configuration it reset back. The problem is once the drivers are installed (i downloaded the latest from Nvidia) i reboot and it gets as far as the windows splash screen then that disappears and im left with a black screen, i then reset and on reboot enter the bios - dont make any changes - exit without saving - then boot in normal mode (i previously launched from last best configuration) and it boots up fine, enter password and check then device manager and there is the Nvidia K4000 displayed under the display tree. Right click the desk top and i can access the Nvidia control panel fine.

Do you reckon this could be a bios problem?

Cheers

Rob

Rob,

So, semi-good news at last- getting closer.

You may well be right that the remaining problem is either a BIOs / setup problem and /or a driver conflict >

1> It still seems worthwhile downloading and installing the latest ASUS BIOS for your motherboard in case there was a recent update.

2> Integrated Graphics conflict> There's a possibility that in setup there is a sequence of graphics priorities that resembles a boot device sequence. Although I've never seen this, the sequence might be upon start up to detect > A>Integrated Graphics, B> then PCIe, then C> PCI. This is done so the system can get some level of display running and then a card added and configured. You could check this by connecting the monitor to the integrated graphics output and see if the system starts up more or less normally. If it does- and even if it doesn't- then go into setup and look for a tree in the left panel with graphics options and reset so that PCIe is the first in the sequence.

3> Driver conflict > There's a possibility that there is more than one driver for the K4000 installed as Windows 7 may have installed a kind of generic driver and then the NVIDIA one was added and which may have gone to a separate folder. If you can get a stable display go to Control Panel > Device Manager > and Display Devices > Properties and then 1 > see if the K4000 is listed as the device and 2 > check the driver version to see which driver is being used, checking against the downloaded NVIDIA driver number.

When I installed the Quadro FX 4800 in the Dell Precision, Windows 7 Ultimate enthusiastically loaded a generic driver before I could stop it. I then had to go back and run the *.exe NVIDIA driver install application to install the driver of choice there. Eventually, I changed that again for a Solidworks partnered driver. If this is the case for your system, be sure to use "custom installation", deselect the 3D stereo drivers, and also check the little box "Use Clean Install" (or similar) which will remove all previous drivers. Then check Device Manager Display Properties again for the driver version > hold breath, and reboot,..

Seems that a solution may be at hand!

Cheers,

BambiBoom

Lowey

Honorable
Apr 18, 2013
Hi Bambiboom

Sorry for the late reply. Just to let you know i am now up and running, it turned out it was the intel HD graphics driver causing the problem. All i had to do was to uninstall the intel HD graphics drivers - reboot - and disabled the vga source. I thought the pci-e slot would of been picked up and used as the default as it was set to auto?!.

Thanks again for your suggestions and help it was much appreciated.

Cheers

Rob

Rob,

Excellent news!

I'm not sure that my suggestions were very effective, given my poor words to actual solution ratio, but I'm very glad it worked out. > Quadro users suffer enough just paying for them !

It was educational for me as my only other contact with integrated graphics (AMD 3-core GeForce 7025) did not require the solution applicable to your situation.

Cheers,

BambiBoom